My last jetting question - 07 WR450

8 replies to this topic
  • Island Boy

Posted June 18, 2008 - 05:17 PM

I am 95% there with my jetting. Finally... after much trial and error... no off idle bog, no sputtering, no backfiring. The bike runs strong, crisp and smooth through all gears UNTIL I am going faster than 50 mph. I am experiencing some sputtering at constant throttle and backfiring when i let off on the throttle. What factors would cause this?

Altitude: sea level
80-90F avg. Temp
GYTR fuel screw 1.5 turns out
R&D Power pump w/ ALJ set at 40
168 Main
45 Pilot
JD Red needle, clip in 4th position
DR D full race exhaust
All free mods done

Thanks

• Gary Murray

Posted June 18, 2008 - 05:23 PM

incorrect jetting.

• KennyMc

Posted June 18, 2008 - 06:47 PM

I am 95% there with my jetting. Finally... after much trial and error... no off idle bog, no sputtering, no backfiring. The bike runs strong, crisp and smooth through all gears UNTIL I am going faster than 50 mph. I am experiencing some sputtering at constant throttle and backfiring when i let off on the throttle. What factors would cause this?

80-90F avg. Temp
168 Main
45 Pilot
DR D full race exhaust
All free mods done

Thanks

Check this out. No resolution but some suggestions.

http://www.thumperta...ghlight=stutter

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted June 18, 2008 - 09:46 PM

80-90F avg. Temp
168 Main
45 Pilot
DR D full race exhaust
All free mods done

Thanks

when your doing 50mph i assume your only about 1/4 throttle and are in 5th gear right? two things....if it was me i would do a 48 pilot as 45 is stock and thats pretty lean and then i would check your throttle positioning sensor (TPS)...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Island Boy

Posted June 19, 2008 - 04:23 PM

incorrect jetting.

thanks smart arse.

• kevinwr450f

Posted June 20, 2008 - 10:16 AM

Did you take off the AIS? That was causing backfire on decel for me. Removed it and have not heard a pop since.

• Island Boy

Posted June 20, 2008 - 05:43 PM

Yes AIS removed. I will look into disconnecting the TPS and report back what i think.

• Island Boy

Posted June 22, 2008 - 02:15 PM

I disconnected the TPS at the 3 pin connector under the tank and taped it up. Ran the bike and guess what... Problem Solved... I did not notice any loss in power either (mentioned in the manual and some TT members experienced this). Thanx for all the help.

• jams229

Posted June 22, 2008 - 03:26 PM

I was going to tell you to fiddle with the TPS, but it appears you already have... I sure would like to know the other effects of disconnecting it.
I have heard you should keep it plugged in for off-road, but I cannot remember why. I ride about 95% off-road, but the 5% on-road can be annoying due to the "TPS Stutter" Please keep us posted.
Thanks.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.