Front Tire recommendations for dry, dusty race?

16 replies to this topic
  • NorCal

Posted June 18, 2008 - 12:40 PM

I think it is going to be a mix of (watered) track, high speed fire road, and
hopefully some trails. The ground will be dry, dusty, and have some sections of
hard pack. I'm going to pick up a tire tomorrow. Any help would be appreciated.

BTW, I already have a Dunlop 756RR, and I want to try something else.

Thanks Guys,
Nick

• 642MX

Posted June 18, 2008 - 01:05 PM

On hard pack, a 739 works great. I know everyone hates them for all around use, but they are awesome on dry hard surfaces.

• Wiz636

Posted June 18, 2008 - 02:16 PM

Yeah, 739 is great for hardpack but little else unfortunately. My current tire of choice is the Dunlop 742FA. I have used it on hardpack, loam, trails with loose pebbles, grass track, and greasy mud and it performed well everywhere. It is also wearing very well. I used to switch tires fairly often depending where I was riding but now I just leave the 742FA on and ride.

• grayracer513

Posted June 18, 2008 - 02:24 PM

D952 front and rear is about the best all-around tire I know of. I like the 745 as a hard pack tire, but the 952 is better where there's a mix. My favorite is the 755 front, 952 rear, but that's not so much for hard pack as for desert racing.

I tried a 742FA and was very disappointed in it, particularly on hard pack.

• Wiz636

Posted June 19, 2008 - 07:58 AM

I tried a 742FA and was very disappointed in it, particularly on hard pack.

Interesting. It is one of my favorite front tires.

• grayracer513

Posted June 19, 2008 - 08:13 AM

Hard pack here may be different than in Washington. When someone in SoCal starts talking about hard pack, they mean a white, alkaline clay that has dried hard and solid as stone. It's so hard that tires leave rubber marks on it, and the groove turns "blue" as the day goes on. It usually ends up with a layer of sandy dust on top of it, too.

What was really odd was how poorly it worked in sand. It was like the front end was sitting on a trash can lid, or something.

• 642MX

Posted June 19, 2008 - 12:46 PM

Hard pack here may be different than in Washington. When someone in SoCal starts talking about hard pack, they mean a white, alkaline clay that has dried hard and solid as stone. It's so hard that tires leave rubber marks on it, and the groove turns "blue" as the day goes on. It usually ends up with a layer of sandy dust on top of it, too.

Sounds like good ole Indiana clay to me. The MX track I run looks like pavement with a little silt on top at the end of the day.

• grayracer513

Posted June 19, 2008 - 12:56 PM

looks like pavement with a little silt on top

AARGH! You said the "S" word! :p :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Family Man

Posted June 19, 2008 - 12:57 PM

The Dunlop 745 90/100/21 and rear 120/80/19 are one of the best tires Ive ever had on my bike".". Amazing for the dusty sandy red clay, and great in the gravel. The rear wears fast just like a 756. For race day a sweet combo is 745 front and rear, or for track only use. Or just change it after a few rides. The 745 I put on the back is showing wear after one ride. However, I usually ride about 1 mile on pavement to get to the fire roads that have jumps, and obstacles in abundance. The gravel and pavement eat tires super fast. One must either compromise some performance for extended logevity or change tires frequently. I think a 745 and a 952 rear would be a good choice, for longer wear in said conditions. Probley my next tire combination. The 952 tire last a good amount of time but dosen't perform quite as good as a race tire. Mainly turning performance, the 952 wants to wash/slide out faster in the corners, great staight line drive for longer as it doesnt loose the bitting edge as fast. I havent found a long lasting tire that works as well as a high performace tire like the 745 or 756, I dont know if its available or possible at the moment. Race tires, in particular the dunlop 745 deliver outstanding confidence inspiring traction in the conditions you describe.

• krackhead

Posted June 19, 2008 - 01:05 PM

I have been very happy with my dunlop 952's on my 08 yz450. They work great and last a good while.

• 642MX

Posted June 19, 2008 - 03:56 PM

AARGH! You said the "S" word! :cry: :thumbsup:

Do you guys have silt in California?..... (opps I said it again) :p

• grayracer513

Posted June 19, 2008 - 04:39 PM

Miles of bottomless, wheel swallowing silt. It's so fine it defies intuition to believe rocks could ever be ground down that far, or that the wind hasn't blown it far away. Makes flour look like pea gravel. I hate it. Hate it to death! :thumbsup: :p :cry:

• 642MX

Posted June 19, 2008 - 04:44 PM

Miles of bottomless, wheel swallowing silt. It's so fine it defies intuition to believe rocks could ever be ground down that far, or that the wind hasn't blown it far away. Makes flour look like pea gravel. I hate it. Hate it to death! :thumbsup: :p :cry:

Wow. That doesn't sound like much fun. Kind of like the silt beds in the baja 1000?... I watched the movie "from dust to glory" and couldn't believe how much silt they had to blast through.

• racer 813

Posted June 19, 2008 - 08:42 PM

You should try a bridgestone 601. The new one, (601a) I think, its a hard pack tire and and works real good at 11 pounds.

• grayracer513

Posted June 19, 2008 - 10:44 PM

Wow. That doesn't sound like much fun. Kind of like the silt beds in the baja 1000?...

Only about half that bad.

• YamaLink

Posted June 20, 2008 - 05:32 AM

I'm not a fan of their tires in most conditions, but for what you described I really trust the Bridgestone M603 (which replaced the M601).

• NorCal

Posted June 22, 2008 - 07:56 AM

Well, despite everyone's recommendations, I bought a 756 because it was on
sale for $44 at Cyclequeer. I really doubt it made much difference because when
we got off the watered track into the hills, it was just so dry and dusty no one
was really able to "hook up" in the corners no matter what tire they had.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.