Changing a WR Tire

29 replies to this topic
  • byggd

Posted June 19, 2008 - 12:31 PM

I just use some dish soap mixed with water in a spray bottle. I use to scrape the crap out of knuckles and swear alot. There are a couple of videos online and once you learn a couple of trick and have three tire irons it's not a big deal.

• knucklehead

Posted June 19, 2008 - 03:15 PM

use this video and a buddy to get started - oh and good tire irons (3) - the hardest part for me is getting the new tire started.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pjJXE73rGvk&feature=related

• MountainMax

Posted June 19, 2008 - 07:06 PM

Hey, in that first video, there was no rubber band under the tube, looks like he had silver duct tape there instead, is this an option? I know the band is a pain in the butt when linging up the valve through the wheel??????

• tribalbc

Posted June 19, 2008 - 07:16 PM

I use to always pull the rubber bands and duct tape the rims. Helps with nipple pokes :thumbsup:
Keeps the dirt out of the rim better too.
Haven't bothered yet with my WR but will get around to it one day.....

• bigdrtrdr

Posted June 20, 2008 - 07:23 AM

Hey, in that first video, there was no rubber band under the tube, looks like he had silver duct tape there instead, is this an option? I know the band is a pain in the butt when linging up the valve through the wheel??????

Rim bands last as long as the first set of tires at my house. But dont use cheap tape!

Buy a good roll of black 3M or Nashua duct tape. Put two 1" strips around the rim. Then razor out the holes and your life will be better.

The cheap "DUCK" tapes will disintigrate an leave you with a flat and a huge mess inside your tire

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • byggd

Posted June 20, 2008 - 12:59 PM

use this video and a buddy to get started - oh and good tire irons (3) - the hardest part for me is getting the new tire started.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pjJXE73rGvk&feature=related

I saw another one with a better tip for installing the valve stem which is where much of my frustration and scraped knuckles came from. What you do is install the tube before putting the tire on the rim. Soap up the leading bead good, have the rim laying flap and bring the tire in at an angle, stick the stem in the hold and start the retaining nut. Now just shove forward real quick and half the leading bead will seat, use you tire irons to pop the rest of the bead on and BAM, tube and half the tire installed.

• Demo_Slug

Posted June 20, 2008 - 01:20 PM

I saw another one with a better tip for installing the valve stem which is where much of my frustration and scraped knuckles came from. What you do is install the tube before putting the tire on the rim. Soap up the leading bead good, have the rim laying flap and bring the tire in at an angle, stick the stem in the hold and start the retaining nut. Now just shove forward real quick and half the leading bead will seat, use you tire irons to pop the rest of the bead on and BAM, tube and half the tire installed.

anyone tried a valve stem puller?
Posted Image

• SmobySport

Posted June 20, 2008 - 09:45 PM

I just finished switching out my rear tire for the first time. I bought a stand, bead buddy, two tire irons and used the instruction on the Motion Pro website. The process at first is kind of a pain but once you figure it out it isnt so bad. I did minimal damage to my rim but if your anal like I am you might want to look into rim protectors http://www.motionpro...rim_protectors/
The second rim lock was pretty simple I popped the first bead on the rim over the 2nd rim lock, flipped it over and used a tire iron to pull the bead up and over , push up on the lock bolt making sure the nut is still threaded on a little, and the let the tire back into the rim.

As for pinching the tube you can feel in there and make sure the tube is not under the tip of the iron. Dont pry past 90 degrees either as it lessens the chance of a pinch.

I am going to buy one of those valve stem pullers as it would help save your hands.

• Punisher660

Posted June 30, 2008 - 11:52 AM

Well, I got the tire changed. It is still 10x harder than the tire on my CRF. It is the second rimlock that causes all the problems. It basically prevents you from setting the tire into the lowest point of the rim and getting the most play out of it. I just used the old dish soap mix and muscled the tire on. It still sux to change though. :thumbsup:

• brad the best

Posted June 30, 2008 - 12:42 PM

Where do you get the "gorilla snot" - I've always used a solution of Dawn Dish Soap and water...... It doesn't seem to always work that great.

no idea we just have it at work , i would try tire shops . works great .

dawn works good to , have used wd-40 but i think dawn is a better idea , i herd something about wd-40 and tires and don't use it anymore or maybe its the imagination .

window washer fluid also works great .

i personally had a problem with dirt going in the hole that the second rim lock goes in , i would silicone it or something .

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.