Helpful Hint, skid plate mounting screws

1 reply to this topic
  • the1_roadrunner

Posted June 17, 2008 - 11:36 AM

Problem-I was in the process of removing my skid plate the other day and discovered one of the "hex head" mounting screws had been damaged by a rock. The rock smeared the hex drive so bad there was no way to get a socket or open end wrench on it. Fortunately I was able to remove it with a pair of vise grips.
Fix- I went down to the local ace hardware and picked up some nice stainless "socket head cap screws" and replaced all the hex drive mounting screws. The internal socket drive on a SHCS is much better protected from impacts that may occur on the bottom side of the skid plate.
It seems like a no-brainer idea.... but I hadn't thought about it until it happened to me. --RR

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 17, 2008 - 12:14 PM

Good tip.

Obvious, of course, but sometimes that's what makes it a good tip.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.