A Question for the XR600 Jetting Genius

5 replies to this topic
  • Miker

Posted December 03, 2002 - 08:10 PM

I have a 1996 Honda XR600R which is dual sported. Before the bike was ever started I installed the HRC cam and an FMF supertrapp with 10 discs. The bike also has a higher flow twin-air foam filter. I was never able to get the bike to run right with this setup. No matter what jetting I used the bike had a lean stumble at idle which would kill the motor. Also the plug was a bright white showing a way to lean condition. I have owned a few other XRs and was always able to jet them. I eventually took the cam out and went back to the stock cam but still the bike ran lean and the plug was always white. I went as high as a 180 main to no avail. I even through the stock exhaust back on and no luck there either. I recently raised the needle one position (2nd from the bottom) and now the bike no longer stalls at Idle. Also the plug is running a lite tan color. Why was I not able to achieve this with jetting changes? I have completely disassembled the carb and soaked it in carb cleaner and blew through all the orifices. Could there be an ignition problem? Could my carb be faulty? My jetting now is 165 main 60 slow jet and stock needle set at 2nd grove from the bottom. I am still running the supertrapp with 10 discs. I know that four strokes come alive with correct jetting so anyone Please Help!! Has anyone experienced the white plug problem? My dealer said it is just California's fuel but I have three KTM four strokes and there plugs all run a dark brown. Mike :D :) :D

• Danco

Posted December 04, 2002 - 03:40 AM

Have you checked for an air leak? Maybe there's a hole or tear in the carb boot.

• Miker

Posted December 04, 2002 - 04:49 AM

I have removed the intake boot and checked the o ring seal it was fine. I did not see any holes or tears in it either. Also I live and ride between sea level and 3500 feet.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thumpdup

Posted December 04, 2002 - 03:14 PM

Sorry to hear of your problem. Try starting bike and using starting fluid with the straw, lightly spray around intake manifold to see if engine rev's. This would indicate a leak. I have built 7 or 8 XR's, all with extensive mod's and have had intake leaks give your symptoms. I have a flatslide Mikuni, in excellent shape, I will let go for cheap. This is already jetted for mod's (bigbore, hi-comp.,cam, port-polish, header, exhaust,etc.) I jet a little fat...These gals don't like lean and will grenade. I also can include several jets. This was bought from Freddy at XR's only... I am sure he could give assistance also. Good luck!

• enduromaniac

Posted December 04, 2002 - 10:54 PM

Since the needle "blends" the different carb circuits together, it's position can have a dramatic effect from off idle to 3/4 throttle. A carb is not rejetted properly unless needle position is correct. I doubt there is anything wrong with your carb. It simply needed to be jetted richer, "across the board".

• Moredesert

Posted December 06, 2002 - 01:54 PM

I agree with enduromaniac, I had the same problem with an FMF pipe on my XR600. I had to choke it all the time to start it hot or cold. I too raised the needle one notch and the bike ran great after that.

Mike

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.