Changed Bars, Improved Handling

Control Handlebars & Accessories

54 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted November 19, 2008 - 12:58 PM

Yes, but the problem may be, in your case, that your riser/adapters may cause the bars to be rather taller than you would like.

• Tha Breeze

Posted November 19, 2008 - 01:10 PM

I'm thinking about sending them back.

My pinky's cramp terribly bad when I ride, I think it's due to the sweep and angle I'm having to hold on.

EDIT: After looking at the numbers I think the Stewart or RC would be better, those have even less sweep:excuseme:

• hall1012

Posted November 22, 2008 - 08:28 PM

Thats so ironic...I just moved to the Twinwalls after bending my stock 08 protaps. I tryed the Windam bend and I was kind of skeptic on the higher bend,but I went to Hangtown the next day and It really did seem as if I had more control of the bike. Call me crazy but thats what I noticed.

Same here. I switched the stock Pro Tapers on my 07 YZ450 to Twinwalls in a super tall bend (can't remember which off hand), and I swear it made everything about the bike easier and more manageable. It also gave me more confidence, which has made me a faster rider. IMO, bars can make a huge difference, if you get the right fit.

• btray

Posted November 24, 2008 - 07:41 AM

Great thread...I ride a 04 with pro tapers and the adapter to make that happen...it looks to me like it is about a 3/4" rise...my question is since I'm
6'2" and ride an 04 would the windam bend still help the bike handle better by the shear truth that I believe gray has stumbled onto in the area of forward hands help imput and response time. The older I get the more I seem to be riding woods and and mountain trails, sand and mud rather than MX. Can't stand very long at a time because legs and knees can't handle it. Thanks for your responses.

Bill

• yamaha542

Posted November 24, 2008 - 08:41 AM

Has anyone ran the woods (low) pro tapes? i do mostly woods and hill climb riding...... the squid who stole my bike last week bent the stock pro tapes into a U and im considering the Woods low or Woods HI what you yall think?

• ForceTen

Posted November 24, 2008 - 09:45 AM

I have to Pro Taper woods high and have ridden on shorter and steeper inclines. Not bad. Bit of getting used to in comparison to the stock bars. They're definitely narrower by about 2" though.

I still haven't put on my Windham bend ProTapers. I ran into a bit of an issue in that I want to swap bars depending upon the style of riding I do (Woods=Harescrambles and trails, Windham=MX) but I needed a few extra parts because I also have the ProBends so couldn't swap parts as easily as I thought I could.

• grayracer513

Posted November 24, 2008 - 10:15 AM

Great thread...I ride a 04 with pro tapers and the adapter to make that happen...it looks to me like it is about a 3/4" rise...my question is since I'm
6'2" and ride an 04 would the windam bend still help the bike handle better by the shear truth that I believe gray has stumbled onto in the area of forward hands help imput and response time. The older I get the more I seem to be riding woods and and mountain trails, sand and mud rather than MX. Can't stand very long at a time because legs and knees can't handle it. Thanks for your responses.

Bill

I'm 5'10" and I like the Windhams. My son is 6'4", and he likes them, too. I think he'd also like something taller, but he's a little averse to experimenting with something he likes.

3/4" is a 19mm rise as it is, so the Windhams may be a bit tall for you. Or not. Consider a low cost triple clamp with multiple bar positions, like the Tag T2.

The reason that a taller bend is often a better choice, especially for a YZF, is this. Handlebars can be thought of as having 3 distinct sections, and two pairs of bends; the center section, the rising section, and the top, or grip section, and the top and bottom bends. The measurements you usually see, besides width, are rise, which is how far the top section sits above the center section, and the sweep, or pull back, which is how far the bar ends are pulled back behind the top bends. Both these measurements are made with the top section "flat". That means the the bar is rotated so that board laid on the tops would be parallel to the ground.

There is one measurement that does not get mentioned much, and that is the fore-aft rake of the rising section. There is a sort of ergonomic rule of thumb that is used that rakes the rising section back more on lower bars, and farther forward on higher ones, which is presumably based on the idea that taller people will have longer arms and need more space if they are to sit in the same spot as a shorter person. This is where a bar bent for taller people will be better than one that is simply taller, or is raised on a riser, and I think it is the key to improving the handling of the '06+ YZF, because of where the riders hands are positioned. As anyone who had tried simply rolling the bars forward to move the grips forward knows, that can only be carried so far before the grips are angled awkwardly upward from the center.

Viewing the mounted bar from the side, you can see this angle by comparing it to the angle of the fork. Lower bars often follow the fork angle. The Windhams stand up noticeably more vertical, moving the hands forward. You can compare this in bars that are off the bike by turning them upside down and holding the top sections flat down on a bench, too.

Look at two things in this picture of Doug Dubach:

> How much of the seat there is out behind him, and,
> How the rising section of the bars tilts forward.

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rhinoracin

Posted November 16, 2013 - 10:54 PM

I just ordered the Pro Taper (evo) henry/reed bend to replace the low stock bars on my 09, but after reading this I think I will get the windham/rm mid bend instead. Im 5'9" ...any reason  why I should'nt get the windham bend instead?

Correct me if I'm wrong, the stock "5XC" bars on Pro Taper's online chart are shown as the YZ high (84mm height), and the windham bend is 99mm height.

• rhinoracin

Posted November 17, 2013 - 12:18 PM

Anybody? are people my height still running PT windham bars? I ordered them so I wanna make sure they wont be too high

• grayracer513

Posted November 17, 2013 - 04:23 PM

The might seem a little high for you in the seated position.

• Mtrain730

Posted November 17, 2013 - 06:25 PM

I just ordered the same bars. I'm 5'10 can't give ya feed back cause there not here yet but I'm thinking if there a little tall sitting down it will be worth a little compromise I felt the stock ones were low and when I tried too get up on the tank I was pinned under the bars and had zero room too move around. So I'm going for it your only a tad shorter then me.

• VetRacer75

Posted November 17, 2013 - 11:52 PM

Little of topic but I cut the ends off a bent set and welded on an inch to either side of my bars to widen them and am very happy with it. Fully forward positioning plus 1 on bars. That rare time it tank slaps is a lot easier to control. I also seem to be able to place the front better into ruts at speed. Im 6 ft tall long arms, bars are Renthal Cr high. Bike is 2011 yz450.

• Mtrain730

Posted November 23, 2013 - 06:31 PM

Just put the windams on have not rode the bike but just how they feel when sitting and standing on the bike I think I'm gonna love them and I don't think they feel like there goin too be too tall. I'm 5"10. Bike feels less cramped especially when you slide up on the seat.

• rhinoracin

Posted December 29, 2013 - 05:53 PM

Been riding my 09 with the windham EVO bars, I don't even notice them when riding! The stock bars made the bike feel cramped, now it feels perfect especially when standing up.

• 1stSSPZ

Posted January 24, 2014 - 06:38 PM

Took my Windham Pro tapers off my '06 and put on my new 13'...wow! Did the same thing for the new bike as it did for the old one!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.