APJ on 2002 FCR Carb

7 replies to this topic
  • S_Phillips

Posted May 20, 2002 - 03:28 PM

I can adjust the screw on the side of the carb where the APJ doesn't even squirt untill 3/4
throttle, and when it does it only last's for about 1/4 second.

Will this be ok or should I disable it completely?
Although I don't know how to do that yet but I'm sure I could figure it out eventually.

Comments please?

Thanks

• Mark_Cantrell

Posted May 20, 2002 - 07:26 PM

But will it run without an AP. Mine won't.

Good luck,
mwc

• Hick

Posted May 20, 2002 - 08:57 PM

Originally posted by S Phillips:
Comments please?

Thanks

Do a search for "BK" mod and you can read more than will ever want to know about accelerator pump modification.

Hope this helps.

BTW it is a good idea to keep track of where that screw was set from the factory.

• S_Phillips

Posted May 21, 2002 - 09:46 PM

HICK
BTW it is a good idea to keep track of where that screw was set from the factory.

yes it was exactly 4 turns

I didn't think the BK mod worked on the 2002 carby so I will do some more searching

MARK

But will it run without an AP. Mine won't

Thanks was the goal actually :)

Thanks guys

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mark_Cantrell

Posted May 21, 2002 - 06:11 PM

Dude,

I'm confused. You seem to be on your way. If you want help, let us know where you're trying to get.

Good luck,
mwc

• S_Phillips

Posted May 22, 2002 - 04:30 AM

Mark -

I was actually trying to disable the AJP.

Anyway I was just playing with the timing screw
you turn it in far enough and the APJ will not activate until 3/4 throttle.

Now that I've seen the BK MOD I'll go that route.
At least it will now be adjustable

how many folks leave that black plastic cover off?

Also some concern if it really matters on the 2002 with the remapped CDI :)

Thanks Mark

• Hick

Posted May 22, 2002 - 06:42 AM

Originally posted by S Phillips:
Now that I've seen the BK MOD I'll go that route.
At least it will now be adjustable

how many folks leave that black plastic cover off?

Also some concern if it really matters on the 2002 with the remapped CDI :)

Thanks Mark

I believe the pump setup, probably just the diaphragm, has changed every year from ’00 to ’02, delivering a bit less fuel w/ each change. I haven’t seen one, but people have reported a shorter fuel stream duration from stock ’02s than you will see w/ ’00 and ’01 Flat CRs. So it seems the ’02 is a less needy candidate for the BK mod, but that doesn’t mean you cannot improve upon the stock pump setting.

I don’t think leaving the black plastic cover off is a good idea at all. I believe one of the design improvements of this carb over the Slant FCR is the “internalized” nature of the pump linkage as the Keihin setup (remember this is a street bike carb) allows crud to run down the linkage and get into the pump. Leaving the pulley cover of the Flat CR will expose the linkage to the same fate.

There is a round area in the molded plastic part that shows where to cut or drill so the cover fits around the BK screw, with the right screwdriver you can adjust this screw with the carb on the bike (and the pulley cover on the carb).

Hope this helps.

• S_Phillips

Posted May 22, 2002 - 08:38 AM

HICK - Thanks for the reply

There is a round area in the molded plastic part that shows where to cut or drill so the cover fits around the BK screw, with the right screwdriver you can adjust this screw with the carb on the bike (and the pulley cover on the carb).

Excellent didn't know that......
:)
I'll be doing the BK Mod tonite now that I know it can be accessed w/o much bother.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.