o6 yz450f blowin white?

18 replies to this topic
  • ktown yamaha

Posted June 14, 2008 - 09:23 AM

hey guys i have a 2006 yz 450f with about 160hrs on it and the other day while i was ridin a trail my buddys noticed it was blowin white smoke really bad not sure wuts goin on, has this happend to anyone ealse bike??

• teddy81

Posted June 14, 2008 - 09:24 AM

was it when you hit the throttle? if so thats usually a sign of piston rings going, or if all the time it could be oil seals as well.

• ktown yamaha

Posted June 14, 2008 - 09:26 AM

it was just when i hit the gas, but then towards the end of the ride it stoped there was no more smoke wich really bothers me

• KJ790

Posted June 14, 2008 - 09:26 AM

White smoke means that water is getting burned in the combustion chamber. It could be a bad head gasket.

• ktown yamaha

Posted June 14, 2008 - 09:29 AM

yeah, that sounds like what it could be, at how many hours did you guys chaing your piston rings if you have done them yet?

• teddy81

Posted June 14, 2008 - 09:30 AM

if it stopped, could you have gotten water in the pipe when you were washing it? water burning off is white smoke as well.

• teddy81

Posted June 14, 2008 - 09:31 AM

usually no more than 50 the piston is changed, depending on how and what you ride, i race mx and ride it pretty hard.

• KJ790

Posted June 14, 2008 - 09:31 AM

I change piston and rings every 50 hours. At 160 hours I'd say it wouldn't hurt for you to do it.

• ktown yamaha

Posted June 14, 2008 - 09:36 AM

sounds good to me, i think thats wut im going to do fresh piston and rings, head gasket. thanx guys

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted June 14, 2008 - 12:36 PM

You may want to also check the valve seals...just to be sure. I have seen this before with both head gasket & valve seal issues on different bikes

• grayracer513

Posted June 14, 2008 - 02:57 PM

White STEAM is from coolant, white SMOKE is oil. The difference is that steam will vanish into the air as it cools, whereas smoke won't.

Valve guide seals typically cause a single or very brief puff of smoke on the first cold startup of the day. In advanced cases, they will cause a puff of smoke when you get back on the gas after engine braking.

Smoke under power would be from the rings. However, oil can get by the rings not just because the rings are faulty, but also because the engine is overfilled with oil.

If there is too much oil in the system, the sump can't be completely scavenged, and the crank will throw so much oil up on the cylinder wall that the rings are overwhelmed by it, and smoke will result. This could also explain the fact that it stopped at some point.

• KJ790

Posted June 14, 2008 - 03:13 PM

White STEAM is from coolant, white SMOKE is oil. The difference is that steam will vanish into the air as it cools, whereas smoke won't.

Valve guide seals typically cause a single or very brief puff of smoke on the first cold startup of the day. In advanced cases, they will cause a puff of smoke when you get back on the gas after engine braking.

Smoke under power would be from the rings. However, oil can get by the rings not just because the rings are faulty, but also because the engine is overfilled with oil.

If there is too much oil in the system, the sump can't be completely scavenged, and the crank will throw so much oil up on the cylinder wall that the rings are overwhelmed by it, and smoke will result. This could also explain the fact that it stopped at some point.

In all of my experience burning oil (from bad rings or valve seal) always shows up as blue smoke coming out of the exhaust. Maybe certain oils burn white, but I've never seen it.

• grayracer513

Posted June 14, 2008 - 03:52 PM

In all of mine, I've never understood why people call the color of oil smoke blue. :thumbsup:

• KJ790

Posted June 14, 2008 - 04:02 PM

In all of mine, I've never understood why people call the color of oil smoke blue. :thumbsup:

If it is burning oil it tends to come out of the pipe a light blue-gray, then as it fans out you can see it looks a darker blue color. If it is burning water it tends to be a thicker white-gray color and stay that color (or sometimes take on a slight yellow hue) as it fans out.

• William1

Posted June 14, 2008 - 04:57 PM

Another reason the 'white smoke' may of stopped is because the coolant was consumed. Did you checked the radiator level?

• ktown yamaha

Posted June 14, 2008 - 05:06 PM

come to think of it i did do an oil change on my bike and may have put too much oil in it, but who knows, im still going to do the rings regardless. thanks guys for all of your input its much apretiated.

• NOMADAK

Posted June 14, 2008 - 06:39 PM

Another reason the 'white smoke' may of stopped is because the coolant was consumed. Did you checked the radiator level?

:thumbsup: exactly what I was thinking!

• usmcpaul

Posted June 14, 2008 - 07:30 PM

If you can get someone to stand/ride behind it....coolant smells very sweet, but oil has a smokey smell.

• KTMotoRider

Posted June 14, 2008 - 07:49 PM

Yeah coolant kinda smells like hot maple syrup.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.