Time Sert Repair of Bottom Oil Filter Bolt ?

8 replies to this topic
  • Chevelle70SS

Posted June 13, 2008 - 12:05 PM

Hi All,

I've done it now:banghead: . The lower bolt and threads are stripped. I removed the side case and it appears that the bottom half of the threads in the hole are messed up. I was reading the sticky post on using a time-sert. I was wondering if anyone has used this as a method of repair ? I watched the video at time-serts website and it looks pretty straight forward. The counter boring of the drilled hole has got me concerned that it may damage the o-ring area of this hole. Also since this hole goes all the way through would I still drill and tap all the way through ? Thanks for any help.

Thanks,
Chevelle

BTW bike is an 08 YZ450F

• grayracer513

Posted June 13, 2008 - 01:04 PM

I believe that Ga426owner has done this repair to his. If I recall, the spot facing tool runs to the face of the threads without contacting the larger diameter mouth of the hole, which is ordinarily occupied by the shoulder of the bolt.

Be sure that the Time-Sert you use is long enough to cover the hole for the drain passage completely. The hole can be seen in the second picture in this thread:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=634724

If this hole is partly exposed, it will cause a loss of oil pressure, and you would need to plug the drai n passage as the thread shows in order to prevent that.

• Chevelle70SS

Posted June 13, 2008 - 01:22 PM

Thanks for the info Gray. The kit I ordered says the lenght of the time-sert is 9.5mm. I hope this is long enough, if not I'll just JB weld the hole closed after putting in the time-sert. I was hoping it didn't mess up the o-ring area. I was thinking that if it would, could a person go about fixing it from the back side instead ?

Thanks,
Chevelle

• grayracer513

Posted June 13, 2008 - 01:35 PM

You could install it from the back, but I don't recommend it. running the bolt in could potentially run the insert out the back without you knowing it was happening.

I also would not use JB to plug the hole. The bearing is easy, and much more workmanlike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chevelle70SS

Posted June 13, 2008 - 01:44 PM

Okay, ball bearing it is. Thanks for the help. It didn't even cross my mind that it might work lose threading from bottom up.

Thanks,
Chevelle

• Ga426owner

Posted June 14, 2008 - 10:38 AM

yes I went through this on my 03. The TimeCert will cover the infamous hole so it is not necessary to use the ball bearing. Now what I do not remember is the length of the timecert. I believe it was either the same length as the threads on the allenhead bolt, or longer to compensate for the space between the bolt threads and the allen head. I do recommend this to permanently fix the problem. Mine has worked since day 1 w/o any issue. Important: Buy a new allenhead bolt - by covering up the oil passage hole (#@#@$!!@#) you do not get the debrey contacting the threads:thumbsup:

the case must come off to repair. No reason to get metal particles inside
no worries that the oring will get damaged - due to correct timecert diameter
Counter thread just past the length of the timecert - Timecert length should match length of bolt or existing threads in the case (measure length of the bolt threads that are past the oil filter cover to be exact)

• Chevelle70SS

Posted June 14, 2008 - 12:11 PM

Thanks for the info Ga426. I did order a new bolt and case gasket.

Thanks,
Chevelle

• Ga426owner

Posted June 14, 2008 - 12:32 PM

Thanks for the info Ga426. I did order a new bolt and case gasket.

Thanks,
Chevelle

anytime Chevelle - the fix actually is better than stock IMO. Don't fret it is a normal Yami 4stroke hinderence....That @$#@ hole causes particles to get in between the threads and cause this. No hole = no problem :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted June 14, 2008 - 01:46 PM

... it is a normal Yami 4stroke hinderence....That @$#@ hole causes particles to get in between the threads and cause this. No hole = no problem :busted:

That's why I came up with that way to block it off BEFORE it :thumbsup: it up. :busted:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.