exhaust cam bearing

5 replies to this topic
  • b8enp

Posted June 13, 2008 - 09:54 AM

today i decided to fit my hotcam.when i removed the rocker cover my mate noticed that the exhaust cam bearing had a large piece missing.when we removed the cam the bearing just colapsed i was just wondering if i can just replace the bearing or doe's the cam and bearing come as one.

• SJMC_DON

Posted June 13, 2008 - 10:02 AM

today i decided to fit my hotcam.when i removed the rocker cover my mate noticed that the exhaust cam bearing had a large piece missing.when we removed the cam the bearing just colapsed i was just wondering if i can just replace the bearing or doe's the cam and bearing come as one.

Yes they come as one

Your hotcam should have a bearing on it already:confused:

I'm pretty sure the bearings are pressed on before the gear... it would be cheaper to and better to buy a new cam but I am little confused in that you say you are installing a new cam anyways:confused:

I would be concerned about any pieces of the broken bearing falling into the head passages or down into the timing chain passage and into the crankcase cover:eek:

Do you have pics?

• b8enp

Posted June 13, 2008 - 10:07 AM

sorry i forgot to put i was installing an inlet cam when i found the problem with the exhaust cam.i'm gonna take the engine out at the weekend and start stripping it down

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SJMC_DON

Posted June 13, 2008 - 10:12 AM

What year is the bike?

Sorry to hear about this, I would make sure that all of the bearing pieces are present and accounted for. How was it running before you took the valve cover off and found the bearing issue?

• b8enp

Posted June 13, 2008 - 01:23 PM

its a 2001.it was running spot on couldn't fault it.think i was more in shock than anything when i took the cover of and found that after it had bin running so well.

• SJMC_DON

Posted June 13, 2008 - 01:52 PM

I'd go for an auto de-comp exh cam when replacing it.

Best of luck:ride:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.