2006 yz450f: Just replaced clutch, now more engine drag?

6 replies to this topic
  • Justin89

Posted June 12, 2008 - 06:17 PM

Hey, I just want to make sure this is normal.I replaced all plates and springs with OEM plates/springs. The bike shifts fine it just feels like it has much more engine drag when down shifting and on de-acceleration. I assume that this is normal and that I must not be used to it yet. Any info/advice is greatly appreciated!Thanks to all that reply.:thumbsup: :busted:

• grayracer513

Posted June 12, 2008 - 08:58 PM

Unless it was slipping really badly before you fixed it, it's your imagination.

• Justin89

Posted June 12, 2008 - 09:35 PM

It must have been because as soon as I hopped on the bike thats the first thing I felt. Maybe Im losing my mind lol:crazy: Thanks Gray!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • matt4x4

Posted June 13, 2008 - 04:07 AM

When you first install a new clutch you have to remember that the new clutch is a little rougher on the surface compared to a used and likely buffed clutch. This roughness creates more drag between the plates so for the first few miles/rides, it may well feel like there is more drag, once it's used for a bit it will feel the same as always. Also, during this time your clutch plates are still going through a mating process where all the surfaces are getting worked against each other until they grip evenly all around.
The whole thing is very similar to new brakes, the first time you put on the binders you are wowed by the difference, after a few times it starts to feel much more like it used to.

• grayracer513

Posted June 13, 2008 - 06:10 AM

Matt,

You're right about a little clutch drag being normal with a new plate set at first, but if you re-read the OQ, he's talking about increased engine braking.

• matt4x4

Posted June 13, 2008 - 06:40 AM

Damn I gotta get more sleep...then again, maybe I just gotta get more coffee - back in 2!!!!

• Justin89

Posted June 13, 2008 - 09:01 AM

Thanks for the advice guys.:thumbsup: The clutch that I just took out was completely "gone" so I think that thats why I can feel a difference. All I know is that it felt like it had more engine drag than normal but Im sure it was me imagining things again:bonk:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.