Is there any interest in a dual sport wiring harness (only) for later WR450s

14 replies to this topic
  • trailhead2004

Posted June 12, 2008 - 02:41 PM

I am in the middle of upgrading my '08 WR450 for dual sporting and I'm wondering if there is much demand for a wiring harness only. This would be so you can put together parts yourself for a lighting kit, which have done.

A few specifics:
Stock Yamaha lighting, run/stop controls off the WR250
Aftermarket low-ball turnsignals
Yamaha turn signal relay
Stock Yamaha Headlight and Taillight assemblies
K&S hydraulic brake switches.

What I'm trying to do is make the bike as stock looking as possible. I've considered the need to upgrade the headlight to a DOT lamp assembly so I made the harness with enough juice to handle the 65 or so watts on a legal headlight.

At this point, I'm thinking about offering it with bare wire ends on most of the wires to allow the customer to decide on wire length and termination. It probably won't be a kit for the people who aren't mechanically inclined, but I'm not really worried about them.

Send me PM if you can and let me know your thoughts.

BTW, the latest info I have is that the 2009 will be exactly the same as the 2008. The harness should also fit other years, but I haven't really looked into it yet.

Thanks,

trailhead2004

• cagarren

Posted June 15, 2008 - 10:17 AM

I've been wanting to do the same thing for my 2007. Man, if you can come up with the parts list or a kit I would be very interested.....................

• tweav

Posted June 15, 2008 - 10:57 AM

here's mine . I've been running for almost a year now . I made the ds kit in it . it's all wired up that it all turns off with the key thru a 40 amp relay and it only hooks to the battery and one wire on the bike . I did the startor mod on mine . I run a 50 bulb in the stock light . and it is brighter then most people I know with a h4 headlight . Anyhow I've already crossed this bridge I can help you iron out the details if you'd like.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

• kwar63

Posted June 15, 2008 - 01:45 PM

I am in if you can pull it together. I have a 2006 wr 450 that I would like to convert to a dual sport at a minimal costs. the Baja kit is a little pricey and I actually like the UFO lighting better. Let me know what you pull together.

Kurt

• trailhead2004

Posted June 16, 2008 - 06:52 AM

I got the harness itself completed this weekend. I'm ordering connectors and harness sleeving today. The only connector I can't find is for the flasher relay but I'm going to talk to a local guy who does vintage connectors to see if he can help.

I'm setting up the harness to be able to run a DOT 55/65W light but will end up staying with the stock one for the time being. Basically, I'm just hooking up a relay and running heavier gauge wire.

I'll get cracking on the connectors and get some more pics out soon.

Here's a couple of pics of the bike so far.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Greenroom

Posted June 16, 2008 - 03:02 PM

Very clean. Has anyone tried to get the factory stuff from Austrialia? From what I understand our bikes have the inputs for the lighting and so forth.

• trailhead2004

Posted June 17, 2008 - 06:18 AM

Very clean. Has anyone tried to get the factory stuff from Austrialia? From what I understand our bikes have the inputs for the lighting and so forth.

I've been poking around the Australian and New Zealand websites for a week or so and I'm not having any luck so far. Maybe one of our Ozzy members could help out with a search for information.

But regardless of that, I've been over every square inch of my bike short of pulling the motor and I've yet to see how things could be hooked up to the US wiring harness. Now I could easily see swapping the main harness from the AU bike to ours and putting the signals, etc on it.

trailhead2004

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • spick

Posted June 17, 2008 - 06:23 AM

I would certainly be interested in such a harness for my 06. I have mine plated now but with none of the extra equipment. I would like to have it for peace of mind more than anything.

• TwIzTeD NuTz

Posted July 03, 2008 - 03:29 PM

I would love to see a schematic for how to wire my bike. I have been searching the internet high and low and have now found a DIY instructions can anyone guide me ?

• SXP

Posted July 07, 2008 - 08:31 PM

Posted Image

Trailhead - Did you make the turn signal holders? Would you be willing to make another two sets? I would be happy to pay.

BTW, I replied to your PM regarding the stator, but apparently you are not set up to receive PMs and my reply was rejected.

• cagarren

Posted August 02, 2008 - 07:33 AM

hi, I'm still looking for Part numbers for the handlebar switch and relay. Anyone come up with those?

• 05-WR450F

Posted November 22, 2008 - 09:59 AM

How did you make out? I'll be making my own harness over the winter and wanted to know what problems did you run in to or what would you do differently?

What multi-function switch did you use?

Does the "kill switch" on the Baja Designs work on a WR450? Is it NO or NC?

• trailhead2004

Posted November 24, 2008 - 11:28 AM

How did you make out? I'll be making my own harness over the winter and wanted to know what problems did you run in to or what would you do differently?

I have produced 7 harnesses to this point on 5 different bikes. The first two were really prototype harnesses to work out details like wire lengths, etc. So far, everyone has worked as intended and everybody seems to be happy.

The biggest problem I ran into has been going broke buying connectors. I still don't have them exactly as I want and may never get there but I'm still trying.

The only thing I would do differently than I am currently is a different material for the sleeving over the harness. I'm currently using PVC which is a little thicker wall and stiffer than my ideal solution. I have a vendor on tap to get the material I want to use but still haven't made the changeover.

Overall, the next part of this project is cost reduction. I need to start bringing the cost of my parts down because I cannot produce them cheap enough to make much money, maybe only 3-5% profit, and that's on material only, I haven't factored in labor yet. That won't work.

Another thing I am looking at would be having the customer specify the kit components themselves. Start with a wiring harness and controls only, then add options like turn signals, upgrade regulator/rectifier, stator, whatever. In other words, build it up based on your needs.

I would like to start selling them on eBay or through my own website sometime next year and then start branching out to other years of WR's first with the intention of selectively producing harnesses for other makes and models as well. Look for more info on this coming up soon!

Just because Kalifornia makes it next to impossible to have fun doesn't mean that the rest of the free world should suffer! :bonk:

trailhead2004

• MaxPower

Posted November 25, 2008 - 08:39 AM

[COLOR="Green"]building a DS kit from scratch would be easier than spending the money on a kit and trying to go back and forth with the lame customer service guys at Electrosport trying to get one of their dualsport kits to work.

When it comes to doing electrical work on bikes, I am really impressed with what some members can do on this site rigging things up.
[/COLOR]

• fasthands

Posted November 29, 2008 - 11:14 AM

Just because Kalifornia makes it next to impossible to have fun doesn't mean that the rest of the free world should suffer!
Try living in the UK, it sucks!! No space to ride without someone moaning, crap weather. I wish I lived in the USA!!!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.