Number plate changes

10 replies to this topic
  • bleetham

Posted June 12, 2008 - 10:47 AM

In the last two years I've had to buy new numbers and backgrounds four times. New bike, class changes etc. It costs me about $65.00 each time buying the preprinted numbers from DeCal works. I really like their stuff and it looks great and is durable. Now that I've got to change my numbers again I'm wondering if there is a less expensive way of doing this. Things are tight lately and I want to save some money.

Does anyone just paint their own backgrounds and stick on numbers themselves?What is the best way to "do it yourself" and save some money?

• Wiz636

Posted June 12, 2008 - 11:50 AM

Attack graphics from rocky mountain are good quality and very inexpensive. They look good but you don't have all the options that you get from Decalworks. And they are FAST. I love Decalworks products but, yes, they can be spendy.

• KAS

Posted June 12, 2008 - 11:57 AM

Stop buying pre-printed backgrounds & numbers.

Just get plain colored backgrounds, and put your own numbers on.

Or if you want to go even cheaper (but not as easy), you can get sheets of colored background material, and cut your own.

Dirt Digits has all this kinda stuff. www.dirtdigits.com

• KJ790

Posted June 12, 2008 - 12:10 PM

Stop buying pre-printed backgrounds & numbers.

Just get plain colored backgrounds, and put your own numbers on.

Or if you want to go even cheaper (but not as easy), you can get sheets of colored background material, and cut your own.

Dirt Digits has all this kinda stuff. www.dirtdigits.com

Agreed, you don't need pre prints. Just buy a pack of pre cut backgrounds (like $15) and some numbers (like $6 per pack of 3).

• matt4x4

Posted June 13, 2008 - 04:34 AM

They manufacture bikes with white side and front plates for the simple reason of sticking numbers on it, before this age of bling, it wasn't totally unheard of for people to NOT have backgrounds and just stick on some numbers.

Here's how it worked way back in the stone ages when I was a kid:

1. If money was tight, you chose 2 digits instead of 3.

2. If money was really tight, you used electrical tape.

3. If you couldn't afford electrical tape you would steal some from the neighbour's illegal pool pump wiring - in most cases it did stay on for at least one race.

4. If this was not an option because your trailer park did not allow pools you would borrow a race official's permanent marker the morning of the race and apply your number that way.

Overall, I think not running backgrounds will likely make you a better rider solely based on the weight savings alone!

I don't know if rules have changed over the years, but the last time I checked, running backgrounds was NOT a mandatory requirement by AMA.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 13, 2008 - 06:30 AM

They manufacture bikes with white side and front plates for the simple reason of sticking numbers on it, before this age of bling, it wasn't totally unheard of for people to NOT have backgrounds and just stick on some numbers.

Here's how it worked way back in the stone ages when I was a kid:...

I don't know if rules have changed over the years, but the last time I checked, running backgrounds was NOT a mandatory requirement by AMA.

You're cracking me up this morning. :thumbsup:

But, I agree. Buy some of the slick looking One Industries numbers (available in 4 sizes) and stick them on. I've had to change mine annually for several years now, and it's never been a problem. I think they look OK. I did have to cut my own "M" out of a sheet of bulk black ground, but that was easy.

Posted Image

• matt4x4

Posted June 13, 2008 - 11:46 AM

Hey Gray - is that your dust or just a whole lot of haze in that cool pic of yours?

• bleetham

Posted June 13, 2008 - 12:35 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and the entertainment. I've got a low cost solution in mind now and even though I'm required to run black backgrounds these ideas are going to save me some money!

• grayracer513

Posted June 13, 2008 - 01:07 PM

Hey Gray - is that your dust or just a whole lot of haze in that cool pic of yours?

Mine is there, but there are 150 or so other guys in that race, too.

• Wiz636

Posted June 13, 2008 - 01:15 PM

Mine is there, but there are 150 or so other guys in that race, too.

Doesn't appear to be any dust in front of you...:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted June 13, 2008 - 01:36 PM

Doesn't appear to be any dust in front of you...:thumbsup:

The fast guys are too far out in front. :busted:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.