WR450 Leaks Gas when hauling

13 replies to this topic
  • shonc182

Posted June 12, 2008 - 10:36 AM

My WR450F leaks gas when hauling on the trailer. Is this normal? It comes out of one of the lines under the bike.

• CRF250X Rider

Posted June 12, 2008 - 10:41 AM

Its pretty normal for a little gas to escape out of the overflow. you should shut your gas off though just in case.

• RickSanson

Posted June 12, 2008 - 11:26 AM

The float is bouncing around and over-filling the carb bowel and the fuel is draining from the overflow vent...

What I do is before hauling, turn off the fuel valve and run the bike till is dies!

• matt4x4

Posted June 13, 2008 - 03:56 AM

This is always one thing that has left me wondering about what is better...

Trailering the bike, fuel SHOULD be shut off - it only makes sense as stated above.

Now there are two ways to transport - with fuel in the bowl, and without.

1. Without fuel - I feel the float can bounce up and down hitting the limits relatively hard, in my opinion, this can lead to the little tab bending (which sets the float height) since it does not take much force at all to do so, and the way that tab would bend (downwards) would end up leading to a float setting that will lower the level of fuel in your carb and lower the point at which your carb draws fuel from the tank which in turn can lead to some serious carb performance issues (fuel starvation in corners/jumps/steep inclines etc.).

2. With fuel - the float is buffered through the buoyancy (like a bobber on a fishing line) and the buffering acts similar to a brake, slowing down the speed of the float before it reaches it's limits, this would make me think you are going to have a lesser chance of bending the tab.

Because of this, I always transport WITH fuel in the bowl (but petcock shut off).

what are everyone's opinions on this?

• RickSanson

Posted June 13, 2008 - 05:19 AM

With fuel - the float is buffered

Good point! All these years and i had never considered that once...

The older I get the more I have to learn!

• beezer

Posted June 13, 2008 - 06:18 AM

Float buffering?

Some of you have too much time on your hands.

They ship them from 10,000 miles away dry.

• matt4x4

Posted June 13, 2008 - 06:50 AM

For all of one trip, if you do it 3 times a week down back roads and access roads full of potholes, I'm thinking you're going to incur a LOT more bouncing in half a mile than a "buffered" freighter is going to incur over 10,000 miles.

See how I managed to sneak "buffered" in there too? Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • beezer

Posted June 13, 2008 - 07:57 AM

Hey I like the whole buffering concept!

• Dominion

Posted June 17, 2008 - 11:06 AM

Well if the bike is puking out fuel then I would assume that the float level may be too high. I transport with the fuel off and don't have much troubles with the bike leaking. I had an old bike that would leak all over the place so I set the float a little lower and never had any trouble since.

~Brian

• Charles De Mar

Posted June 17, 2008 - 11:22 AM

I alway shut my pet cock off when traveling:prof: Unless I'm traveling with the wife.:thumbsup:

• byggd

Posted June 17, 2008 - 11:32 AM

Very good point Matt!

• wartsnuff

Posted June 17, 2008 - 12:06 PM

here is my thought

buffering is not it... neat idea. don't think it makes a difference.

but the vent tube could be sifoning the gas out of the boal.. as the wind goes by it at 60 mph with a non running enging. .as the fuel bowl goes down it opens the needle and seat and more gas is intruduced.

so on and so on... so turn the gas off.... then it might empty the bowl.. big deal..

my 02 cents

cheers
Warts

• GCannon

Posted June 18, 2008 - 10:35 AM

This is always one thing that has left me wondering about what is better...

Trailering the bike, fuel SHOULD be shut off - it only makes sense as stated above.

Now there are two ways to transport - with fuel in the bowl, and without.

1. Without fuel - I feel the float can bounce up and down hitting the limits relatively hard, in my opinion, this can lead to the little tab bending (which sets the float height) since it does not take much force at all to do so, and the way that tab would bend (downwards) would end up leading to a float setting that will lower the level of fuel in your carb and lower the point at which your carb draws fuel from the tank which in turn can lead to some serious carb performance issues (fuel starvation in corners/jumps/steep inclines etc.).

2. With fuel - the float is buffered through the buoyancy (like a bobber on a fishing line) and the buffering acts similar to a brake, slowing down the speed of the float before it reaches it's limits, this would make me think you are going to have a lesser chance of bending the tab.

Because of this, I always transport WITH fuel in the bowl (but petcock shut off).

what are everyone's opinions on this?

I guess if that after ride Beer between you legs on the ride home is spilling all over your lap then your carb bowl must be doing the same thing?:thumbsup:

• GCannon

Posted June 18, 2008 - 10:41 AM

Sorry I couldn't resist :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.