Hour Meter Install

14 replies to this topic
  • Coastie3202

Posted June 12, 2008 - 10:27 AM

Got my hour meter installed today. After reading where everyone else mounted theirs I elected to try something different. I cut out a pocket on the crossbar pad foam and snugged the yellow Briggs & Stratton meter into the pocket, then cut a small square on the crossbar pad cover. I'm pretty sure it is not going to come out of there and it will be easy for me to see and reset.

Quick question - my hour meter, when the bike is not running, shows 0.0. Does the hour meter stayed powered all the time?

http://s297.photobuc...t=HourMeter.jpg

http://s297.photobuc...t=HourMeter.jpg

Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted June 12, 2008 - 11:49 AM

Different?

http://www.thumperta...575#post6508575

He's not the first, either. Sorry.

There is no source of power for the meter with the engine off. Many of them have an internal battery to maintain the display, and in some cases, the memory. If the meter resets to zero with each restart, it either has a missing battery, a bad battery, or is designed to use vehicle power for memory maintenance, in which case, it's probably not going to be suitable.

• matt4x4

Posted June 13, 2008 - 04:23 AM

sounds like the battery in yours went dead - can you get a warranty replacement?
According to this document, once dead they're garbage, but in that case, for me it would be time to crack it open and see what can be done about fixing it - it may be flat Li-Ion that you can replace...

http://reviews.ebay....T:-1:LISTINGS:3

• grayracer513

Posted June 13, 2008 - 06:16 AM

for me it would be time to crack it open and see what can be done about fixing it - it may be flat Li-Ion that you can replace...

If it ever had one, and it probably did, that's undoubtedly what it is. Worst case would be to find it soldered in place.

• Coastie3202

Posted June 14, 2008 - 07:32 AM

I think you all misunderstood. I have not run the bike with the hour meter installed yet, that is why it still reads 0.0. What I was asking was whether the meter numbers should stay visible all the time. I think the answer is yes since it obviously runs on a watch battery of some sort, not off a separate power source.

• grayracer513

Posted June 14, 2008 - 01:39 PM

I understood, and my answer(s) are the same. :thumbsup:

• Coastie3202

Posted June 15, 2008 - 06:53 PM

I ran the bike today with the new hour meter and it works great. Thanks for everyone's input.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • roc_my_tims

Posted June 21, 2008 - 12:08 AM

what brand meter did you buy? cost?

• Coastie3202

Posted June 22, 2008 - 04:32 AM

Briggs & Stratton, $20.00. Ordered from our local ATV/landscaping company. Any company that sells or services lawn mowers can order it for you. They may even have it on the shelf.

• Ga426owner

Posted June 22, 2008 - 07:04 AM

I ran the bike today with the new hour meter and it works great. Thanks for everyone's input.

ah.....I understood you.
The hrs the bike is on will stay displayed.....

• Coastie3202

Posted June 23, 2008 - 04:08 AM

ah.....I understood you.
The hrs the bike is on will stay displayed.....

I'm glad someone finally understood my question. Thanks. After running the bike with the meter installed I realized that the display stays on, much like a digital watch. :thumbsup:

• crooks420

Posted July 06, 2008 - 06:46 PM

Exactly where and how did you attach the red wire to the spark plug? Did you wrap it around the coil that sticks out of the top of the engine?

Jesse

• Coastie3202

Posted July 07, 2008 - 04:07 AM

Yes. I lifted the rubber boot a little bit, took the first wrap under the edge of the boot, then took about 3 wraps around the body of the coil. I then wrapped it tight with electrical tape with a single zip tie to keep everything snug.

• PitDad911

Posted March 07, 2009 - 01:01 PM

I have a hourmeter on my sons bike but don't get a good reading it says to wrap it around the sparkplug wire but on these bikes they don't have a plug wire i see two wires that go into the coil do i wrap around one of them? he has an 08 rmz250?

• spc mike

Posted March 08, 2009 - 02:00 PM

I have a hourmeter on my sons bike but don't get a good reading it says to wrap it around the sparkplug wire but on these bikes they don't have a plug wire i see two wires that go into the coil do i wrap around one of them? he has an 08 rmz250?

Dude....you question was just answered in the previous post.:p

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.