offroad "smoothness"

8 replies to this topic
  • gotdirt33

Posted June 11, 2008 - 11:27 PM

do you guys think these two things would help the yz450f (2007) become a better all around machine (track and alot of woods, thus smoothness is crucial).

• grayracer513

Posted June 12, 2008 - 05:21 AM

The flywheel, yes, the throttle, not really.

• YamaLink

Posted June 12, 2008 - 06:12 AM

Suspension setup
Riding conditioning

Not necessarily in that order. :thumbsup:

• WB450

Posted June 12, 2008 - 07:24 AM

10-4 on the flywheel, I love mine.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wiz636

Posted June 12, 2008 - 07:31 AM

The flywheel would be the better of the two choices.

If you really want to make it a smooth woods machine get a Rekluse Z-start Pro clutch.

• Chevelle70SS

Posted June 12, 2008 - 04:55 PM

I've got both products on my 08 YZ450F and yes it is smoother. I've used the G2 throttle cams on all my bikes and didn't even attempt to ride my 450 until I got my G2. I run the 200 cam most of the time on my 450 and a 300 cam and a GYTR Off-Road flywheel on my 06 YZ250 2-stroke.

• sacfelix

Posted June 12, 2008 - 10:08 PM

I ride my 06 yz450f on trails all the time and the flywheel weight works wonders on tight sections and it helps to prevent stalls while giving the flywheel the extra momentim needed to manipulate the toughtest trails.

• c-man

Posted June 13, 2008 - 01:09 PM

I have a 06' 450 and was wondering if the heavier flywheel makes the engine feel more tame like a WR. I enjoy the the thrill of the feel of power my bike has, and this is my 3rd yammie 4 stroke, so stalling the bike is no longer a major issue for me, but when cruising down long trails it would be a little nicer to have the bike surge less/be smoother. Would the flywheel help with smoothness while cruising down the trail without killing the thrill of the power to the point of making it boring??

• grayracer513

Posted June 13, 2008 - 01:31 PM

...Would the flywheel help with smoothness while cruising down the trail without killing the thrill of the power to the point of making it boring??

Absolutely. The effect of the flywheel is very subtle, and in no way makes the bike either feel sluggish, or loose any actual performance at speed. As you roll the throttle open at low speeds, you find yourself thinking, "This thing is really running smooth today", or something like that. You will notice that traction seems particularly good. You will definitely NOT get the impression that your bike has suddenly turned into an XR600.

In fact, if I installed one in your bike without your knowledge you might never figure out why it suddenly works so much better than it did.

Related Content

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  57 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.