2007 450f Airbox

9 replies to this topic
  • CL2D24

Posted June 11, 2008 - 08:33 PM

Pulled the sub-frame along with the airbox to adjust my sag and now having a very hard time getting the airbox snorkel over the carb. The adjustment ring and the lock ring on the shock are just about even with the carb. Am I missing something easy or is this just a real @#$%^ to do?

• swaldrop

Posted June 11, 2008 - 09:14 PM

Pulled the sub-frame along with the airbox to adjust my sag and now having a very hard time getting the airbox snorkel over the carb. The adjustment ring and the lock ring on the shock are just about even with the carb. Am I missing something easy or is this just a real @#$%^ to do?

It sucks... Try loosening the boot clamp on the front of the carb as well. This will allow you to 'wiggle' it in a bit easier.

• grayracer513

Posted June 11, 2008 - 09:27 PM

Remove the air box from the sub frame (4 bolts). It's helpful, but not necessary, to remove the shock. Spray the inside of the boot with carb cleaner to lube it, slip the air box in place and tighten the clamp. I you had the shock off, put it back on now.

Then, slip the sub frame back in place over the air box and bolt everything down.

Much easier.

• CL2D24

Posted June 11, 2008 - 09:43 PM

Thanks guys,I just took the top shock bolt out and got enough wiggle room to get it back on.

• urgreathero

Posted June 12, 2008 - 02:42 AM

all i do is when u take it off make sure clamp on boot is loose
when u go to put it back on, put ur airbox section threw the side like ur putting it in, then line up where the bolts go threw, and when u have it lined up i usually just push up n down a couple times and it usually slides right in, becareful though cuz sumtimes the right side of the airbox frame goes behind where u bolt it, den ur like ****k, cuz u have to pull it back out n push back in, if ur doin it for the first time its a lil hard, but it gets easier as u do it more often

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WB450

Posted June 12, 2008 - 07:27 AM

I found the more cussing you do the better. The carb cleaner works good, but be patient.

• Wiz636

Posted June 12, 2008 - 08:39 AM

Loosen the front boot clamp just enough so move the carb. Pull the back of the carb to the left just a little bit. The airboot will slip right on and push the carb back into position at the same time. No disassembly or removal of anything is necessary this way.

• Emiliano

Posted June 12, 2008 - 09:32 AM

I put a litle grase on the boot, no problems

• grayracer513

Posted June 12, 2008 - 11:20 AM

You guys really need to try unbolting the air box from the sub frame, especially if you just want to remove the shock for service. In that case, there's no reason to even take the air box off the bike at all.

• swatdoc

Posted June 14, 2008 - 12:12 AM

I'm with WB on this one - the more I swear the more it helps, and if that still doesn't do it, throwing something across my garage AND swearing almost always gets it done!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.