How do I make my YZ a WR??

6 replies to this topic
  • calvin

Posted May 20, 2002 - 05:18 AM

I bought a brand new 01 yz 426 a few months ago but after riding a WR this weekend I'm kicking myself for going with the YZ. I bought a 14oz flywheel weight and plan on getting softer suspension is that all I need to get it close to a WR? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

• Mark_Cantrell

Posted May 20, 2002 - 05:42 AM

Some of it is free. Clickers on forks and shock.

Some of it is easy but costs. Sprockets, 18" tire, O-ring chain, kickstand, stator, lights, spark arrestor, odo.

Some of it is just wrong. Adding gray wire, putting in a throttle stop, plugging up exhaust.

Some of it is prohibitive. Wide range transmission gearing.

If all you are doing is riding in the woods, get 755/756 or S12/M12 tires, a good set of bark busters, install the flywheel (maybe beef up skid plate) and go. I love the kickstand in the woods (even on the track) for starting and for bio breaks and for getting off to help others. On the first chain change, put on an O-ring chain. If in sand, it won't be too long.

If you ride in wide open stuff with 520's and bigbore XRs, you can change sprockets to get a respectable top end, but without the WR transmission anything gained on the top will be lost on the bottom and vice versa if you ride very tight technical.

If you need enduro equipment just add what is checked (light, odo). An 18" tire is not necessary, adds plushness and if you run on rocks a lot protects wheels and tube. Especially for 19" wheel on rocks, be sure to overinflate. In in loam, mud, or sand, either wheel with low pressures.

The bikes are pretty close and you can ride a stock YZ in the woods but you can't ride a stock WR anywhere (kinda kidding). But with the free mods you can ride WR on MX.

Good luck,

• YZ400Court

Posted May 20, 2002 - 06:01 AM

What did you like better about the WR? You can go with WR cam timing also to get the power delivery a little smoother.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • calvin

Posted May 20, 2002 - 06:42 AM

I liked the smooth power delivery, wide ratio tranny, suspension, and it did not stall. How much will a 14oz flywheel weight help with stalling? How do I get WR timeing? Thanks

• Wicked_Crash

Posted May 20, 2002 - 08:17 AM

Quick fix:

sell it and then buy a WR, do the free mods. Poof, you just turned your YZ into a WR, congratulations. :)

• ISBB

Posted May 20, 2002 - 11:02 AM

heheh i got my wr to stall... heheh that was a 7foot 80degree climb and i had bout 4 feet to start the run at it.. lol just enough to pop a wheelie not to mention the curb at the bottom... i made it up but as soon as i hit the top of it and cut over it dug in i goosed it and whump... but granted im jetted for sea level and this was bout 4000' elevation so i can see where it stalled it was toooo rich.. Ohh well..

• YZ400Court

Posted May 20, 2002 - 01:15 PM

Originally posted by calvin:
I liked the smooth power delivery, wide ratio tranny, suspension, and it did not stall. How much will a 14oz flywheel weight help with stalling? How do I get WR timeing? Thanks

I did the WR transmission for about 400 bucks (if you don't need the 90 mph top speeds, just gear down with sprockets), had the suspension valved for 300 bucks, flywheel weight 90 bucks, Wr timing free ( i left it YZ timed). WR timing can be done by just changing the cam timing by one tooth. This can be done when you have the valves adjusted the next time, and should not cost anything. They have to remove the cams anyway when changing shims. The flywheel weight will make the bike much more user friendly. It helps smooth out power delivery, and reduces stalling a great deal.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.