Tips On Cleaning Air Box..............

15 replies to this topic
  • Dube2

Posted June 11, 2008 - 05:19 PM

So after I found out that I may need new rings on my very low hours 05 WR, I thought that it maybe something getting passed my air filter. I clean my airfilter after every weekend ride and sometimes while camping I clean it in camp. Keep in mind, in an entire weekend I may ride as much as some do in just one day. I also clean the filter after every day ride. Oil change after every three rides. I'm a pretty conservative guy and don't over rev any of my equipment.

Usaully I clean the air box after the big dusty rides. Using a Scott Shop Towel from walmart and spray some type of very thin oil based lubricant on the towel like Son Of A Gun Tire Care or ?. Just to be able to pick up the dust without letting it drop into the carb intake. I've had some rides in the winter time that literally left nothing on my air filter to clean. Wish they were all like that.

I clean the air filter w/ Simple Green, after dried, I then spray the filter with foam filter oil and even use wheel bearing grease around the filter to stop dust/dirt from getting past the filter where it meets the box.

I find that all the nooks and crannies make it hard to get in the small spaces.

Am I making any mistakes? I don't want this to happen to my new 08.

So my question is, what methods do you do to clean the air box and filter?

• Stickshift

Posted June 11, 2008 - 05:45 PM

Sounds to me like you are servicing your air filter and airbox properly, maybe that's not your problem. Is there any way your bike sucked dirt and water up one of the vent lines? I read about that now and then...you might inspect all the various lines hanging down under your bike, look for telltale signs of mud etc far up the lines. Good luck with it.

• dazzabb

Posted June 11, 2008 - 09:21 PM

With a routine like that I doubt you get any dust through the filter.

Every 6 months or so I remove the rear sub-frame and steam clean the airbox to remove absolutely everything, but my cleaning procedure is similar to your but not quite as thorough.

I clean the filters with turpentine.

1st bucket Turps for dirty Filter, 2nd bucket Turps for the clean filter,
then once filter is dry I use disposable plastic gloves to cover and soak in filter oil. Then after fitting to bike, I oil up and fit a filterskin.

• chrispy1202

Posted June 12, 2008 - 12:13 AM

WOW! I guess my cleaning methods aren't quite up to par with everyone else out there. I clean the dirty filter with solvent, let it dry and then spray on my filter oil and nead it in with a set of rubber gloves. I use grease on the mating surface of the filter to the air box also. I have never had to steam clean, power wash, or simple green the air box though. I just wipe out any of the residual dust/grime with a rag. BBRRAAAPPPPP!!

• matt4x4

Posted June 12, 2008 - 03:50 AM

I don't spray on filter oil, I use Uni filter oil, pour it straight onto the filter and massage it in.

I would have to say spraying it on would only coat a thin layer onto the outside, keeping the remaining portion (thickness) of the filter from "grabbing" dust that sneaks past the outer layer due to inadequate coating (it only takes a little dry corner to do a lot of damage..)

• wartsnuff

Posted June 12, 2008 - 06:55 AM

hmmm

i clean with sunlight dishwash soap..

rinse completely let dry

they i use bellray air filter oil.. about 100ml and massage into the filter till it completely change's colour.. then wipe down clean air box, and re-install filter.

cheers
warts

• graazzy

Posted June 12, 2008 - 03:17 PM

[quote name='Dube2']So after I found out that I may need new rings on my very low hours 05 WR, I thought that it maybe something getting passed my air filter. I clean my airfilter after every weekend ride and sometimes while camping I clean it in camp. Keep in mind, in an entire weekend I may ride as much as some do in just one day. I also clean the filter after every day ride. Oil change after every three rides. I'm a pretty conservative guy and don't over rev any of my equipment.

Usaully I clean the air box after the big dusty rides. Using a Scott Shop Towel from walmart and spray some type of very thin oil based lubricant on the towel like Son Of A Gun Tire Care or ?. Just to be able to pick up the dust without letting it drop into the carb intake. I've had some rides in the winter time that literally left nothing on my air filter to clean. Wish they were all like that.

I clean the air filter w/ Simple Green, after dried, I then spray the filter with foam filter oil and even use wheel bearing grease around the filter to stop dust/dirt from getting past the filter where it meets the box.

I find that all the nooks and crannies make it hard to get in the small spaces.

Am I making any mistakes? I don't want this to happen to my new 08.

So my question is, what methods do you do to clean the air box and filter?
What makes you think you need new rings?

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted June 12, 2008 - 03:35 PM

Who said you need new rings? What symptoms is the engine having?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • joenino77

Posted June 12, 2008 - 03:47 PM

I personally have become a big fan of no toils cleaning kit ,its fairly cheap ,comes w/ bio safe cleaner,oil (aerosol,or pourable) and a tube of rims grease wich has lasted forever,the proccess takes about 10 min aside from dry times between cleaning and oiling.I use the aerosol and get at least 15+ cleanings.the filters are about 15 the kit is just under 30.You cant beat 15-20 rides for a total of about $45 oh yeah they also work great.As far as the air box itself I just wipe it down w/ a damp cloth then blast it w/ the air compressor,this is all before removeing the dirty filter of course.This is what works for me .Hope it helps somebody.

• matt4x4

Posted June 13, 2008 - 03:42 AM

Somehow, I don't think "blasting your airbox with compressed air" while having the screen uncovered/exposed is such a good idea.....
I would highly recommend you perform the process of stirring up dust in the airbox with either a cover placed over your screen or do it before removal of the dirty filter or after install of the clean one.
You don't want to chance getting ANYTHING on or inside the screen that could potentially end up in your combustion chamber.

EDIT
ALTERNATVE just pointed out I had read that wrong - obviously, he's had his morning coffee!!

Sorry about the mistake - I'll leave it as is since it's still good info for those who don't know the exact how to's of cleaning filters.

• Alternative

Posted June 13, 2008 - 04:03 AM

He did say before removing the air filter.

• Dube2

Posted June 13, 2008 - 07:27 AM

Who said you need new rings? What symptoms is the engine having?

Well, it smokes and runs just a little rough on the idle. If I get on it, she takes off like a bat outa hell. Still very powerfull. Most guys told me I need rings, one guy told me I may need valve guids/seals?. stickshift said to check my vent lines, maybe I sucked something up. Either way, will I still need to re-ring it?.

I'm just sick over this as I didn't think I'd need to tear in to my motor for years to come. :thumbsup:

• yz-dwg

Posted June 13, 2008 - 07:40 AM

have you tried a compression or leak down test? is it blue oil smoke (rings and/or guides?) or black gas smoke (rich idle cicuit?)

• GCannon

Posted June 13, 2008 - 09:48 AM

Thumper Bloke has a good point!

To determine this a Cylinder leakage test is required. A compression test will give you very little information on a good running engine.

If you want to replace rings then replace the Valve stem seals at the same time while inspecting the cylinder head. It can't hurt and I am sure many of us here are guilty of replacing perfectly good parts just to make ourselves feel better.

My opinion on the air filter which is worth what you pay for it! is that I have not had good luck with Spray on filter oil. I feel it does not penetrate the filter adequtely. I like to soak the filter with oil and squeeze the excess back into the filter oil bottle. It may be messy but I sleep better.

Your maintance program seems excellent. are you adding oil to the bike between oil changes? Is it burning much oil if so how much? a little smoke may be just that.

• joenino77

Posted June 13, 2008 - 10:05 AM

oh yeah, a couple of things I forgot to mention.First as far as aerosol oil goes you apply it to its satiuration point fully message in and ring out any excess,the same as you would w/ pourable oil wich when I use, I just toss filter in large ziploc bag ,message in and keep bag aside to be used agaian continouisly.it is by far the best way to strech your money,and keeps your hands clean. both work equilly as good.

• geoffro

Posted June 14, 2008 - 01:38 PM

Dube,I'll never ignore the importance of maintenance,but you can get away with slightly less than you are doing.The WR airbox is very well sealed and you can get away with two rides in "hard" conditions(no sand)and little dust.
As for oil changes I think you changing oil too often.Hold your horses guys I hear you swearing over the sea!The way I understand you ride will not require new oil so quick.The 450 has so much power we "putter" alot of the time and the motor is not working that hard.20 hours between oil changes is more than enough(thats what i'v done for last 3 years on my 450 and never adjusted valves yet)
As for airbox rather remove subframe and clean off bike with engine degreaser and high pressure hose.(no risk of sand dropping into air boot)
I do it 2/3 times a year.:thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.