valves ( stock or not) hot cams or webcams

5 replies to this topic
  • ThumperKid250F

Posted June 10, 2008 - 06:17 AM

hey guys well im going to be putting a stroker crank in my 06 yz 450 and im also redoing my valves. but i just dont know if i should go with the stock Ti valves or should i go with aftermarket valves like SS or another Ti company..

now with the cams i heard a lot of great things about hotcams but i also heard that webcams are the best? im looking to get more MID to topend power but i dont want to loose my bottomend..

but now with me doing cams should i get stiffer springs with my valve job or would the stock springs do just fine..

thanks guys sorry for the long post

• KJ790

Posted June 10, 2008 - 07:36 AM

I would go with OEM valves, as I haven't really seen any aftermarket titanium valves that last longer (or that cost less). As for cams, hotcams are a nice mild grind offering small performance increases. They are nice because they do give a noticeable increase in performance, and you don't need stiffer valve springs (and they don't shorten the life of your valves). Cams like web cams or crower cams are much more aggressive grinds and require stiffer valve springs. These cams offer greater performance gains, but also cost more (the cams themselves are more expensive, then you have to add the spring kit price in), and are often harder on the valve train.

• grayracer513

Posted June 10, 2008 - 07:42 AM

OEM Yamaha valves are as high in quality as virtually any aftermarket part, and are extremely durable. If you want stainless steel, I'd suggest Ferea valves from Ron Hamp Cycles (google it). SS valves will require heavier springs in any application because they weigh about twice what the Ti valves do.

When using aftermarket cams, the cam grinder will tell you whether you need to upgrade your springs. Again, if using SS valves, tell the cam manufacturer so he can factor that in.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • swaldrop

Posted June 10, 2008 - 08:15 AM

OEM Yamaha valves are as high in quality as virtually any aftermarket part, and are extremely durable. If you want stainless steel, I'd suggest Ferea valves from Ron Hamp Cycles (google it). SS valves will require heavier springs in any application because they weigh about twice what the Ti valves do.

When using aftermarket cams, the cam grinder will tell you whether you need to upgrade your springs. Again, if using SS valves, tell the cam manufacturer so he can factor that in.

On this same topic, if replacing OEM valves, can all of the associated hardware be reused? Springs, keepers, washers, etc... Assuming they are in spec of course.

EDIT: Never mind. I just realized the cost of new OEM springs is pretty insignificant, relatively speaking

• ThumperKid250F

Posted June 10, 2008 - 08:28 AM

alright i just looked up the ferea valves and it doesent look like they make them for the yz 450?

i also went on hotcams website and it says i use the stock valves springs http://www.hotcamsin....x=61&enter.y=9

so it looks like im going to go with the stock valvetrain setup with hot cams since the webcams are over 600$

the only question i have is that would i have to replace the valve springs after a certain amount of hours since im useing hotcams?

• grayracer513

Posted June 10, 2008 - 09:40 AM

the only question i have is that would i have to replace the valve springs after a certain amount of hours since im useing hotcams?

If Hot Cams specifies the stock springs for the cams you choose, they should not be under a significantly greater strain than with stock cams. They are ridiculously inexpensive, however, so you can replace them whenever they make you nervous.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.