Looking at picking up an 05 yz450f any issues/how's the price

16 replies to this topic
  • rarice1980

Posted June 10, 2008 - 06:10 AM

I am looking at picking up a 2005 yz450f this week-end. The guy that bought it shipped off to Iraq so it hasn't been riden much (looks new) says it has about 15 hrs on it, and it looks to be true. It's completely bone stock, down to the original tires (complete with colored lines still on them) He's asking $2700.00 for it. My question is have there been any know problems with this particular year model, and what do you think about the price. (sounded pretty good to me) just out of curiosity, are there any sorts of freeby mods or does it come pretty much dialed in until you start adding aftermarket stuff?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

• usmcpaul

Posted June 10, 2008 - 06:45 AM

I picked up an 05 last year and have been very happy with it. They are pretty much bulletproof from what I have heard and experienced.

$2700, seems reasonable. I paid $3700 for a new one last year. The 06's are out there too, and I have heard that they can be quite reasonably priced as well.

I was very happy with mine when it was stock, but then winter came and I really went all out. I like it even more now. I think the suspension was the best mod I did (5'8" 215lbs). It's a night and day difference to me.

There was a guy on ebay that was selling new, complete DRD exhausts for $275 shipped, I got one. There seems to be a ton of deals for the steel framed bikes/parts since the Aluminum framed ones hit the dirt.

• rarice1980

Posted June 10, 2008 - 09:17 AM

good to hear they are still holding up well. I found a couple threads on the 05 but they were old and I wanted a recent opinion. I hear these things have a brutal low end, and not a ton of top. that will work great for me because I'll be putting this thing on the trail mainly anyway. I like the idea of a flood cheaper aftermarkt parts since the frame change too.

• grayracer513

Posted June 10, 2008 - 09:51 AM

I hear these things have a brutal low end, and not a ton of top.

The ones that had the 454 level low end were the '03-'04 models. The '05 was somewhat milder natured and pulled a bit better on top. Hardly underpowered, though, and the fork was a significant upgrade.

• rarice1980

Posted June 10, 2008 - 12:31 PM

Hardly underpowered, though, and the fork was a significant upgrade.

Glad to hear there won't be a power issue. And hopefully it will handle my 200 lbs pretty well (still trying to lose weight, but you know how that goes) I went back and forth between this and a kx250 two stroke. I heard the yamaha was basically bulletproof when maintained well (reliability is what scares me about these 4-strokes, I hear Honda's require constant valve maintanance), and I'm overkill in those things. I usually change the oil after every ride, and I don't race anymore so this thing should go for a good long while. gonna be following the kids around on the trails, and play riding with friends, that's about it. My competition days are over I think (but you never know when that itch is going to have to get scratched). How are these on overheating? Do I have to keep the speed up to keep it cool, or can I lug it around the trails without worrying too much?

• grayracer513

Posted June 10, 2008 - 01:21 PM

When all's right with them, they do OK at low speeds as long as they actually move. Neither of the 450's I've owned or my son's has ever showed much tendency to overflow in the slower sections. We don't do a lot of that stuff, but we do run into some sections that take a bit of work to get through, and they do alright with it.

• rarice1980

Posted June 10, 2008 - 01:27 PM

good to know. I'm not worried about when it's me and my friends...not to say we're FAST, but we're not terribly slow either. But the wife has started riding and so has my daughter, so I am hoping I won't have overheating problems putting around with them. What about that ice stuff in the radiators, does that help at all, or is it just another companies gimmick?

• grayracer513

Posted June 10, 2008 - 01:33 PM

Engine Ice is a premixed Propylene Glycol/water product. Technically, it's slightly overpriced, but it requires no mixing, and does have a high boiling point. It won't cool any better, really, but it will stay in the radiator pretty well, and the best coolant there is won't work if it's gone.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tnl

Posted June 10, 2008 - 08:05 PM

I have 80 hours on mine and it's still kicking strong. No valve adjustments needed yet. I have an overflow tank I fab'd up under the left # plate (like the wr's) because we ride in the 110 deg heat (mornings only) here in Az and I have seen my stock set up boil and overflow while doing some S.T. I paid like $25 for a complete set up off of E-bay. It came off of a YFZ quad. I'm still happy with it and have no problem keeping up with anything I've ridden with out here. Also, I did the "turkey baster mod" but I was still boiling out of it because of the small 2.0 oz size of it.

• horsappl

Posted November 26, 2008 - 11:41 AM

The ones that had the 454 level low end were the '03-'04 models. The '05 was somewhat milder natured and pulled a bit better on top. Hardly underpowered, though, and the fork was a significant upgrade.

I found a good deal on a blown up 2003 YZ450F. What are the changes on the 07 motor that smoothed it out? I would like to buy this bike and build it to similar power characteristics.

Thanks

• horsappl

Posted November 26, 2008 - 11:42 AM

This bike will be 100% mx.

• WGP

Posted November 26, 2008 - 11:45 AM

I would get a 06 or newer and you could probably get one for around 3K:banana:

Don't use Engine Ice...use Zip Ty racing coolant...way better:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted November 26, 2008 - 01:00 PM

I found a good deal on a blown up 2003 YZ450F. What are the changes on the 07 motor that smoothed it out? I would like to buy this bike and build it to similar power characteristics.

Buy the '07 cams and use a Vortex ignition with one of the top end power maps.

Don't use Engine Ice...use Zip Ty racing coolant...way better:thumbsup:

Is it better? That depends. Coolant needs to do two things:

> Absorb heat from the combustion chamber and transfer it to the radiator.

> Resist boiling well enough to stay in the system.

On the first score, there is no better coolant available that plain old distilled (or de-ionized) water with a surfactant such as Red Line's Water Wetter. It will quite simply remove more heat to the radiator faster than anything else.

But water, of course, boils at about 220 or so under 16 psi, so that can become problematic. To improve this, coolants such as ethylene glycol, or propylene glycol are added. A 50/50 mix of these in water will boost the boil point to the 265-280 degree range, but it will also reduce the ability of the coolant to absorb heat and transfer it out.

Zip Ty and Evans coolants are basically just straight propylene glycol, and they do have an outrageously high boiling point (425+), but do you want your bike to be that hot?

With efficient coolants, the temperature of the coolant coming from the engine to the radiator will be relatively high compared to other coolants at any given engine cylinder head temperature, and relatively low as it leaves the radiator. Less efficient coolants will register a lower coolant temperature as they leave the engine, and not drop as much heat going through the radiator. Such coolants often give the impression that the engine is running cooler because they show lower temps and/or don't boil as soon as water. If the heat builds in the engine faster than it's removed, the engine will, in reality, be running hotter.

So the coolant question is a little more complicated. Engine Ice is a very good, silicate free coolant based on propylene glycol, and the only down side to it is the price. It's just more expensive than it really ought to be considering what's really in it.

• WGP

Posted November 26, 2008 - 02:12 PM

[COLOR="Red"]"Is it better? That depends. Coolant needs to do two things:

> Absorb heat from the combustion chamber and transfer it to the radiator.

> Resist boiling well enough to stay in the system."[/COLOR]

Well zip ty does both while Engine Ice doesn't...thats why I said it is better:bonk:

I race off-road so this might not apply to MX riders....

I ran the stock coolant and it boiled over in technical, slow terrain.

I then switched to Engine Ice which had worked great in my WR450. It still boiled over probably due to the smaller rads on the YZ.

I then ran Zip-Ty coolant and the problem hasn't occurred since (going on a year).
The whole point when you ride long distance out in the middle of nowhere places is to keep coolant in the rads and Zip-Ty coolant has worked perferctly and I haven't lost a drop?

And you are wrong...Zip-TY coolant is Ethylene Glycol based.
Have you tried it?

http://www.ziptyraci...spx?id=MTMwNg==

• gtxkid

Posted November 26, 2008 - 03:51 PM

I have a friend that just bought an 2008 KAW 450 for 3,400.00 so he sold his 2007 450 for 3,300.00.
He did this just this week.
I watched a brand new YZ450F on Ebay sell For 4,500.00.

Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...AX:IT&viewitem=

I think for a thousand more i would buy the 2008 YZ450F.

Of coarse i buy them new and save 0.
But have a dealer that make's it up to me with parts and support.

• grayracer513

Posted November 26, 2008 - 03:52 PM

Well zip ty does both

I race off-road so this might not apply to MX riders....

I ran the stock coolant and it boiled over in technical, slow terrain.

I then switched to Engine Ice which had worked great in my WR450. It still boiled over probably due to the smaller rads on the YZ.

I then ran Zip-Ty coolant and the problem hasn't occurred since (going on a year).

You will get no argument regarding the fact that ZT resists boil over. I already said that was the case. However, you have provided no evidence that it transfers heat as well as plain water, or even 50/50 mixes of common coolants, or even Engine Ice (which I do not use, incidentally).

If ZT XF is an EG coolant, then I stand corrected, however nothing on the page you linked indicates this, and the statement regarding "reduced...toxicity" would seem to contradict that, since there is nothing that can be done to EG to make it less toxic except to dilute it with a non toxin. I was informed that ZT XF was repackaged Evans NPG-R, and again, that may be incorrect, but Evans contains no EG. Note that neither site claims lower operating temperatures.

And I race desert, not MX. If you think there's no tight stuff in that, I'll invite you to one of ours. I haven't bothered with ZT or Evans because I don't need it. I have no problem with what I use now.

• horsappl

Posted November 26, 2008 - 07:13 PM

Buy the '07 cams and use a Vortex ignition with one of the top end power maps.

Thanks, grayracer!
I figured you would know!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.