anyone else find it hard to ride an MX bike?

7 replies to this topic
  • redswr

Posted June 09, 2008 - 11:40 PM

i've gotten on a few different MX bikes out at my local track and hated every one of them... got on a 06 KTM250f, 05 KXF450, and a 07 CRF450 and can not ride them half as good as my 07. after riding the 250 though i found that i was riding my WR alot better and faster because i had to be on the gas alot with the 250 to clear jumps. anyone else not like the feel of the lighter bikes?

• mikeythefokker

Posted June 10, 2008 - 01:27 AM

I dont know man, if the crf450 didn't do it for you on the track, then I don't know what to tell you. Those things feel sweet. They do half of the work for you.

• MNMike

Posted June 10, 2008 - 04:50 AM

i've gotten on a few different bikes...and can not ride them half as good as my 07.

Might have something to do with being familiar with your '07. If you gave all the bikes equal time, the star would rise to the top.

• YamaLink

Posted June 10, 2008 - 06:02 AM

If I spend a lot of time on 250Fs and hop on a 450 I feel like I'm riding a 240 pound piece of concrete. Takes about an hour to get back in the 450 mode. But my speed and endurance - and control - are exponentially better on a familiar bike no matter the size; I'd be a goon on a 250F if I rode my 450 all the time. Should be noted all my good crashes come within the first 10 minutes after switching to a 450. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JSanfilippo

Posted June 10, 2008 - 02:41 PM

i've gotten on a few different MX bikes out at my local track and hated every one of them... got on a 06 KTM250f, 05 KXF450, and a 07 CRF450 and can not ride them half as good as my 07. after riding the 250 though i found that i was riding my WR alot better and faster because i had to be on the gas alot with the 250 to clear jumps. anyone else not like the feel of the lighter bikes?

I understand where you're coming from with the 250f.

I think with the CRF 450R the issue is that it turns so fast you exert too much effort into getting that thing to change direction therefore it makes you slower.

There was no KX 450f in '05

My WR is perfect for trails...but I would perfer a faster turning, harder hitting, more flickable bike with a closer ratio spread if I rode MX because on the tighter tracks the WR just feels sluggish.

• ItsMatttSon

Posted June 10, 2008 - 02:48 PM

I felt the same when i went from my 04 yz250f to the 06 crf250r. I was way faster and more comfortable on the heavier, wider, slower bike but I think your going from having to do a lot of work on the wr as apposed to the other bikes when I got on the 250r it seemed as I was on my 85 again only with a rocket engine. The thing turned on a dime which put me on my ass every corner i came too.

• redswr

Posted June 10, 2008 - 03:17 PM

There was no KX 450f in '05

sorry i get my two buddies years mixed the one i rode was a 06 my other buddies bike is an 05 :thumbsup:

i think maybe if i did have more seat time on the other bikes it would make a difference cause i know theres no way i want to ride my 99 WR400 ever again after being on the 07.

• erickdj

Posted June 10, 2008 - 10:17 PM

switching from my 07 wr450 to my 08 yz450 is a night/day difference, I find the yz WAY easier to ride. In fact, after riding my yz for a couple of months, I felt that it made me a better rider. If I ride the yz and wr back to back, the wr feels like a heavy, sluggish, and unwilling to turn semi truck. still love the wr for woods and slower trail riding.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.