Funky stuff in radiator hose

1 reply to this topic
  • Wiz636

Posted June 09, 2008 - 09:30 PM

I pulled my head today as I had developed a small leak in the gasket on the left of the front side between the head and cylinder. Whe I pulled the radiator hose that goes into the front of the head this is what I saw:

Posted Image

It felt like rubber...like the radiator hose was disintegrating a little bit. When I drained the coolant it was perfect in appearance with no sign of any contamination so it must have stayed local.

Also, when I pulled the head/cylinder the front left head/cylinder bolt was all oily and the threads for it in the case were full of oil. I stuffed a paper towel in there and soaked up the oil. Underneath the oil was some perfectly green coolant.

Is this something that can be attributed just to the leaking head gasket?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 09, 2008 - 10:00 PM

Combustion goo in the coolant, most likely. On the odd chance the hoses were damaged, you should replace them. But they're short enough that you can see what shape they're in.

Oil is pumped up around the left rear head bolt, but not the front. Probably related to the leak.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.