DR650 Oil

12 replies to this topic
  • Thor82

Posted June 09, 2008 - 06:29 AM

Ok I have searched the forums for an answer and it seems like theres too many choices. I just got a 08 dr650 and I was wondering what type of oil to use and how often the oil should be changed. Thanks in advance.

• mattheritage

Posted June 09, 2008 - 09:21 AM

There are LOTS of opinions out there. I havn't had my DR650 for very long so I can only tell you what my dealer Mech. said. I asked him if I could run normal car oil in it as I've done that with bikes in the past. he said that you can, but car oil and motorcycle oil has different friction modifiers etc. I couldnt quote him but bottom line was that he felt an oil made for a motorcycle was better as the oil lubes everything including the clutch.

You'll find all kinds of guys that swear by this oil or that. My thought is... why chance it? I use Yamalube. The couple of extra bucks is worth my peice of mind if nothing else. Now will come the arguments about Synthetic or Regular. bla bla bla

• pops62

Posted June 09, 2008 - 04:07 PM

Ok I have searched the forums for an answer and it seems like theres too many choices. I just got a 08 dr650 and I was wondering what type of oil to use and how often the oil should be changed. Thanks in advance.

I guess if all else fails, you could actually read the owners manual and see what the people who built the bike and are responsible for the warrenty recomend. :thumbsup:

• kiethco

Posted June 09, 2008 - 09:02 PM

Like Yanni said!

• reconranger

Posted June 09, 2008 - 10:33 PM

A new 08 and you already lost the owner's manual???

Most likely it will recommend a motorcycle oil that is API SG/JASO MA, probably 10W40 will cover the broadest range of ambient temperatures. I like ester synthetics, Redline, Maxima, Motul, and Klotz.

Oil change interval may be 3,500 miles???? That's not often enough IMO, especially if it is in the dirt a lot.

• hondamaint

Posted June 10, 2008 - 03:00 AM

I agree a normal 10w 40 will be fine. I have 24k on my DRZ and it runs great. After all of these miles I think we tend to overthink the oil change thing. Dont get me wrong I change around every 3000 or so but I also think keeping the filter clean and well oiled is just as important. If you keep the dirt and dust out of the motor all engine parts tend to wear less ( less valve wear)and thus the oil will stay cleaner longer. In 24k my valves have never moved. There are so many threads out there on how often and what oil to use but I think each should include how often to clean filter and what filter oil to use. I use 10w40 and have NEVER had an oil related issue in my life. You can spend more if you want and that is fine but what ever you do change it regular and clean and OIL your filter.

• FatChance

Posted June 10, 2008 - 08:57 AM

Castrol 10w-40 works for me and everything I've ever run. Nothin' fancy, but nothing's ever blown up on me yet. :thumbsup:

+1 Same here. As long as you avoid "energy conserving" oils that have friction modifiers and the oil has the factory suggested grade and rating, you will be fine. Pay more if you want, but there won't be any real difference.

• DRChriz

Posted June 10, 2008 - 09:10 AM

There are so many threads out there on how often and what oil to use but I think each should include how often to clean filter and what filter oil to use.

Bingo! Clean your air filter more often than you change your oil. I use PJ1 foam air filter oil in the spray can, filter lightly oiled. For heavy dirt riding I'd make sure it had more oil on it. Use air filter specific oil, it's designed to be sticky.

That said, I use Mobil1 10W-40 synthetic car oil. The engine hasn't blown up, no clutch issues, and I haven't experienced erectile dysfunction.

• NVDESERTKID

Posted June 10, 2008 - 06:50 PM

Bingo! Clean your air filter more often than you change your oil. I use PJ1 foam air filter oil in the spray can, filter lightly oiled. For heavy dirt riding I'd make sure it had more oil on it. Use air filter specific oil, it's designed to be sticky.

That said, I use Mobil1 10W-40 synthetic car oil. The engine hasn't blown up, no clutch issues, and I haven't experienced erectile dysfunction.

Hopefully you already have alot of miles on that '08. People give all kinds of reasons to wait until the 2,ooo+ mile mark to switch to synthetic, they all sound like personal opinions but what's the harm in waiting until 2k to switch? Idunno, but you might want to check a reputable source... no offense TT'ers but riders have all kinds of reasoning for oil, air-filters, gas, etc and usually back it up with "I've been using it for years" and they're not sure why it's their brand of choice.

• reconranger

Posted June 10, 2008 - 06:56 PM

I have always switched to synthetic at between 10-20 hours on motorcycle engines.

• NVDESERTKID

Posted June 10, 2008 - 10:09 PM

Here's a little discussion in the DR650 forum about oil.

http://www.thumperta...t=synthetic oil

• 91DR650S looks like an R?

Posted July 12, 2013 - 09:01 AM

I just got a 91 DR650S. Can I use synthetic or is that bad for this old oil cooler engine? It has almost 27k miles. Runs like a champ but it needed changed and you can really tell when it does. The clutch slips bad....real bad..when bad black oil is in it.

• paul246

Posted July 13, 2013 - 05:14 AM

Any conventional 15W40 diesel oil. It doesn't contain any friction modifiers that could affect the clutch. It will have lots of zinc and phosphorous (ZDDP) which is what you do want. Its also cheap enough that you can dump it every 500 miles. If you do oil changes that frequently you will only have to change the oil filter once every 6 months.

I've done a series of oil analysis with a variety of conventional and synthetic oils and found that diesel 15W40 was the best bang for the buck. All of the oils tested sheared quickly in my thumper, hence the frequent changes.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.