How often do you change oil in your 07' 450??

38 replies to this topic
  • born_2_ride85

Posted June 08, 2008 - 08:22 PM

Im sure there have been a million posts on this subject already but i couldn't find them. I recently bought an 07' yz 450 being my first fourstroke im just wandering what is a sensible interval for changing the oil.

• Dveitch8

Posted June 09, 2008 - 03:51 AM

Every 5 hrs for me,

• MX926

Posted June 09, 2008 - 04:32 AM

Every five hours indeed. That seems to be the magic number for me too.

• FreshDonutsCAN

Posted June 09, 2008 - 05:14 AM

5 seems about where i do it as well

• WB450

Posted June 09, 2008 - 06:57 AM

5 to 6 for me.

• KJ790

Posted June 09, 2008 - 08:45 AM

I change it every 2 hours on the hour meter, but I am obsessive. 5 hours should be fine.

• grayracer513

Posted June 09, 2008 - 08:59 AM

It depends a great deal on the oil you choose. A few of them are good enough that they can be changed as infrequently as 7-10 hours, but only a few. I usually change mine after every third time out, which normally adds up to something less than that. Clean filter every single time.

Mostly, 5 is adequate, but there are a lot of very popular oils being used that need to be changed after each day of riding. The problem is that oils blended for engine use don't hold up well as a gear lube, and tend to loose their viscosity very rapidly.

• YZ450Fahk

Posted June 09, 2008 - 10:07 AM

It depends a great deal on the oil you choose. A few of them are good enough that they can be changed as infrequently as 7-10 hours, but only a few. I usually change mine after every third time out, which normally adds up to something less than that. Clean filter every single time.

Mostly, 5 is adequate, but there are a lot of very popular oils being used that need to be changed after each day of riding. The problem is that oils blended for engine use don't hold up well as a gear lube, and tend to loose their viscosity very rapidly.

What brands or oil hold up to 10 hours? I change my oil every 8-10 hours.... I use BelRay Thumper oil.

Thanks Gray!

• grayracer513

Posted June 09, 2008 - 12:09 PM

That I know of by published tests and/or personal oil analysis, not many.

These oils showed no significant viscosity loss in 120 cycles of the standardized ASTM D-6278 test for shear stability:

Amsoil MCV and MCF
Mobil 1 Racing 4T and V-Twin
Motul 300V
Torco T-4SR

The complete results were published in this paper. Look at page 9:

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf

Used oil analysis on my own samples of Amsoil MCF, which I currently use, and Mobil 1 Racing 4T have shown that they held up out to that amount of time for me. Nevertheless, I don't recommend running even those oils for that length of time in every case, and I would still stick to the 3 ride day oil change schedule.

If you are curious enough, you can sample your own oil. Then, you will know:

http://www.blackston...e_test_kit.html

• urgreathero

Posted June 09, 2008 - 01:52 PM

5 hrs, 10 for filter

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • llamaface

Posted June 09, 2008 - 01:55 PM

Used oil analysis on my own samples of Amsoil MCF, which I currently use, and Mobil 1 Racing 4T have shown that they held up out to that amount of time for me. Nevertheless, I don't recommend running even those oils for that length of time in every case, and I would still stick to the 3 ride day oil change schedule.

Good oil info, but 3 ride days is at least 10 hrs for some of us, and may be as much as 15 :thumbsup:

fwiw, in my 4-stroke (not a yamaha) I change every couple rides, or after 1 camping/riding weekend (usually 8+ hrs of riding), or after 1 enduro or desert race, but it goes as much as 12 hrs in a race like the idaho city qualifier where i'm just too tired and lazy and busy dealing with air filter and chain and double-checking nuts and bolts to change the oil too in the 25 minutes total between finishing saturday and starting sunday.

• grayracer513

Posted June 09, 2008 - 02:20 PM

5 hrs, 10 for filter

If you do not replace or service the filter with each oil change, you are leaving 100cc of dirty oil in the engine that you could have drained. Change the filter every time. If that seems expensive, buy a Scotts filter, as I did. They can be reused for a number of years, and are a better filter in many ways than the fiber element filters are.

• grayracer513

Posted June 09, 2008 - 02:23 PM

Good oil info, but 3 ride days is at least 10 hrs for some of us, and may be as much as 15 :thumbsup:

In which event you should change it before it exceeds 10 hours, whenever possible.

• MX926

Posted June 09, 2008 - 03:29 PM

I run Panolin full synthetic oil, 5 hrs with a paper filter, then I change the filter every 10 hrs. Oil still comes out lookin good, I think I could go further, but I'm content with 5 to 6 hrs on the oil change. The hour meter is a handy device.

-Good point Gray, on the dirty oil left in filter. I hadn't thought of it that way before.

• phatty

Posted June 10, 2008 - 12:03 PM

I change my oil every 3 rides. Thats a full saturday ride. How do you people measure in hours? Do you start the clock and stop it when you take a break? From riding my honda xr for years on the same trails i do about 35 miles per ride.
So roughly 100 miles in between oil changes. Never had a problem on the xr rode it from 1993 to 2007. So far so good on the 07 yz450.

The one exception is sand dunes, i change the oil after i ride in the sand period. :thumbsup:

• YamaLink

Posted June 10, 2008 - 12:05 PM

Every 300 miles.

• blasterkid52

Posted June 10, 2008 - 12:11 PM

dont mean to sound liek a n00b but how hard is it to change the oil on a bike?
and also i sometimes ride for a weekend that totals for 16 hours and i cant change oil in the track parkinglot and i dont think i wouldnt change oil in the hotel parking lot. what would i do?

• Aka.Goose

Posted June 10, 2008 - 12:11 PM

How do you people measure in hours?

With an hour meter! :thumbsup:

• blasterkid52

Posted June 10, 2008 - 12:13 PM

With an hour meter! :thumbsup:

how much are thye and what do they hook up to? are they jsut battery powered and mount to your bars?

• Aka.Goose

Posted June 10, 2008 - 12:23 PM

how much are thye and what do they hook up to? are they jsut battery powered and mount to your bars?

http://www.thumperta...earchid=6340438

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.