keep getting flat tires! help?

12 replies to this topic
  • mxr14

Posted June 08, 2008 - 04:22 PM

i have a 2002 xr 50 pit bike that i ride on my pit bike track at home and i keep getting flat tires
its always the rear tire because the tube rotates and the seam of the stem rips. how do i prevent this? do i just need to make sure the tires are pumped up? any ideas? is there some kind of part I can buy to prevent this?

• Precision50

Posted June 08, 2008 - 04:29 PM

i have a 2002 xr 50 pit bike that i ride on my pit bike track at home and i keep getting flat tires
its always the rear tire because the tube rotates and the seam of the stem rips. how do i prevent this? do i just need to make sure the tires are pumped up? any ideas? is there some kind of part I can buy to prevent this?

install a Motion pro 1.65 Rim Lock

Posted Image

And Heres How:

I drill the rim lock hole about a quarter of the way around the rim. Some people do it halfway. I don't because a tire has spun on the rim 180 out on me!

1) Mount the rim lock on the rim first with the nut on just a few threads.

2) Now mount the tire. I put the tube into the tire before I mount it on the rim. You can do this after the tire is mounted but my hands are to big to fit into the tire. ( I use a dishwashing soap with water to lube the tire so it slides on EASY.) Lube it up good.

3) Start at the tube hole in the rim, and put the tube in the rim.and put a nut on the valve stem and start the tire on the rim. If you have the strength you can get most of the tire on with just your hands. Note: It's a good idea to install the tire with the sprocket side down and the tire in the direction of the arrow.

4) When you get to the rim lock use your tire irons or "screwdrivers" to get the tire over the rim so you can get the rim lock to pop inside the tire. Push the rim lock up so it seats on the inside of the tire bead.

5) Now you need to get the second bead started on the rim, but this time start at the rim lock, making sure you get the rim lock above the bead. Note: Be care full not to pinch the tube!!! Make sure you use plenty of lube so it slides on easy. Keep working the tire on till your done.

6) Put air into the tire and then tighten the rim lock last

• Wandell

Posted June 08, 2008 - 04:34 PM

Untill you do that, inflate the rear tire to 25 psi.

• crabnutz

Posted June 08, 2008 - 06:05 PM

i heard also that when you install a rim lock not to tighten the nut all the way down on you valve stem. that way if your tube does slip a little bit it will not tear.

• SLAyER

Posted June 08, 2008 - 08:50 PM

The rim lock you want to tighten down all the way. The nut on the valve stem of the tube you want to leave loose, or take off. This way you get a good indication if the tube is starting to slip.

• Precision50

Posted June 09, 2008 - 08:02 AM

You install the rim lock correctly the tire and tube Will Not Slip!!!

• rockcrawlerdude

Posted June 09, 2008 - 08:32 AM

and your NOT supposed to crank them down as it will lead to bending of the rim...

• rockcrawlerdude

Posted June 09, 2008 - 08:32 AM

and your NOT supposed to crank them down as it will lead to bending of the rim...

• SLAyER

Posted June 09, 2008 - 06:08 PM

Who said crank? Anyways flats are pretty much a thing of the past with a properly installed rimlock.

• Precision50

Posted June 10, 2008 - 05:47 AM

Who said crank? Anyways flats are pretty much a thing of the past with a properly installed rimlock.

Exactly.....:thumbsup:

• kptkyle

Posted June 10, 2008 - 09:55 AM

I only found 1.6" rim locks, is that what you ment or am i looking at the wrong rim locks?

• Precision50

Posted June 10, 2008 - 10:53 AM

I only found 1.6" rim locks, is that what you ment or am i looking at the wrong rim locks?

1.6 is good for a pit bike I use 1.85 on my Pitsters

• mxr14

Posted June 10, 2008 - 08:00 PM

thx guys i got one and it works great!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.