To lower or not to lower, that is the question

No replies to this topic
  • albertaguy

Posted June 08, 2008 - 01:18 PM

Sold my 07 yzf 450 to a buddy, pretty much a beginner but he's doing alright. Comming off an xr200 so big step up. Spends a lot of time on the ground when we go up in the hills. He has trouble with climbing and picking lines through rocks and roots and going over logs and just falling over when he stops because he's short (5-7 probably). He wants to lower the bike with a different link (yamalink probably), lower seat, and slide the forks up in the triple clamps a bit. The question is should I be encouraging this or discouraging it. I'm pretty short as well (5-8) and I think it's made me a better rider balance wise becasue walking my way up a gnarly section has never been an option. I tell him about keeping his feet on his pegs, squeezing his bike, all that good stuff. I just worry that if he lowers it where he can touch he'll be sticking his leg down at any sign of trouble and either won't learn as quick or will get bad technique that will be hard to fix later. Any isights appreciated.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.