Which Headpipe is best? Prove It?

5 replies to this topic
  • TeamScream

Posted May 18, 2002 - 05:35 AM

I have the stock WR headpipe with a YZ muffler on my WR, many of you have said the YZ muffler makes as much or more power compared to the after market ones available from WB or FMF etc. which is what prompted me to buy it. my question is does the stock WR header outperform the options as well or would a tapered header with a YZ muffler provide better all around performance?
Anyone have any dyno proof to back up claims?

• freestyle111

Posted May 18, 2002 - 06:46 AM

stock yz silencer will give more HP than stock Wr silencer,but wb,dr.d and fmf silencers will all add 2hp to 4hp more than yz silencer.wr and yz headpipes are exactly the same.

• levy1

Posted May 18, 2002 - 11:09 AM

My bike has the complete DSP exhaust system. On Monday it will be on the dyno. After a few runs they will remove the DSP system and install a FMF pipe with the power bomb header and measure the difference.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bill

Posted May 18, 2002 - 11:55 AM

Why don't you wait until after the June ride. I'll give you a stock YZ pipe to try also.

Team S,

The tapered header is supposed to help make bottom end power. Now whether that's at the sacrafice of the entire powerband moving down or additional HP at lower RPM's. I don't know.

Bill :)

• levy1

Posted May 18, 2002 - 03:36 PM

Bill, are you telling me a stock YZ exhaust on a WR 400 might compete with a DSP or a FMF Power bomb system? Fred

• Bill

Posted May 18, 2002 - 04:32 PM

No, I'm saying it would be nice to have some data on the YZ pipe (lesser cost alternative) and after market header vs. after market pipe and header.

I have an extra YZ pipe I've been meaning to mess with but, I'm still fine tuning my "taffy" jetting and don't want to throw another variable into the equation. Plus, I have such little time to ride, I just wanna ride :)

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.