Will the WR 5-speed work for me?

5 replies to this topic
  • Stroken

Posted December 01, 2002 - 01:18 PM

I purchased a YZ450F a few months ago. I love the bike, but miss the extra gear/range for mountain riding. Does anyone know if it's possible to swap out YZ/WR trannys???

• blue_beast_wins

Posted December 01, 2002 - 05:10 PM

I remember reading a post here about there still being enough room in the case for the fifth gear, i dont remember who or when it was though, have you tried doing a search??

• bman

Posted December 02, 2002 - 06:50 AM

The cases are smaller on the YZ. You would have to get a full wr bottom end to make it work. That's why Ty Davis use's a four speed in the Desert for now.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hick

Posted December 02, 2002 - 08:01 AM

The cases are smaller on the YZ. You would have to get a full wr bottom end to make it work.

By bottom end, I'm guessing you mean new cases.

Where did you get this information BTW??

If what you are saying is true the YZ will have a totally different transmission, gears, shafts, shifting mechanism and everything.

I'm not doubting this is true, it just surprises me a bit.

• bman

Posted December 02, 2002 - 11:44 AM

Someone in the Industry was going to make a 5 speed kit for the YZ using WR parts and it wouldn't work. Thats how the info was passed on to me. Yamaha must have really been trying to save weight. Or maybe just trying to sell alot of WR's.

• Hick

Posted December 02, 2002 - 06:34 PM

Very interesting.

As for selling more WRs, in my case it ain't gonna work.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.