questionnnn

12 replies to this topic
  • urgreathero

Posted June 07, 2008 - 11:41 AM

my 07 yz450f shoots radiator fluid like a mofo when its idelen wat do i do to fix it
i tried adjusting fuel screw but that did no good

• Birdy426

Posted June 07, 2008 - 12:49 PM

Shoots it from where? The overflow hose or some other place?

• urgreathero

Posted June 07, 2008 - 02:57 PM

over flo hosee

• teddy81

Posted June 07, 2008 - 03:02 PM

how long do you let it idle?

• urgreathero

Posted June 07, 2008 - 03:16 PM

how long do you let it idle?

as soon as u pull in clutch it dose it
i thought it was the 45 pilot jet so i put in a new fuel screw and a 48 pilot jet
but it does it worse now
its dun it ever sense i baught the bike
first bike i had that did this

• teddy81

Posted June 07, 2008 - 03:19 PM

do you fill it to the top? radiators have a tendency to settle where they like, i would fill mine up an everytime i would check it would be down then i stopped filling it and it stayed right at the same spot.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • urgreathero

Posted June 07, 2008 - 03:41 PM

do you fill it to the top? radiators have a tendency to settle where they like, i would fill mine up an everytime i would check it would be down then i stopped filling it and it stayed right at the same spot.

ya i did
it just shoots it out like crazy
i dunno why
first bike i got that has had this prob
could it be the radiator or sumthens bad?
its a brand new 07

• teddy81

Posted June 07, 2008 - 03:44 PM

dont fill it all the way up run it and let it sit and see were the rad level settles at, then start it again and see if it happens.

• urgreathero

Posted June 07, 2008 - 06:11 PM

alright
also could it be the radi fluid im usen?
its only rated for 265

• RocketScientist

Posted June 07, 2008 - 09:31 PM

Don't worry, it's normal. When the coolant heats up, it expands and takes up more room. If you fill it up full when it's cold, the bike will spit out the excess as it gets warm. Most vehicles have a tank to catch the excess (called an overflow tank). When the engine cools, the coolant gets sucked back into the radiator. MX bikes don't have an overflow tank and will spit out the excess. The rediator doesn't have to be 100% full but you should be able to see coolant as you look in. Just check it every once in a while.

Remember, the bike doesn't have a radiator fan. This means if you stop and let it idle for long periods of time, the engine will overheat. You must keep moving to keep airflow through the radiator.

• urgreathero

Posted June 08, 2008 - 06:34 AM

Don't worry, it's normal. When the coolant heats up, it expands and takes up more room. If you fill it up full when it's cold, the bike will spit out the excess as it gets warm. Most vehicles have a tank to catch the excess (called an overflow tank). When the engine cools, the coolant gets sucked back into the radiator. MX bikes don't have an overflow tank and will spit out the excess. The rediator doesn't have to be 100% full but you should be able to see coolant as you look in. Just check it every once in a while.

Remember, the bike doesn't have a radiator fan. This means if you stop and let it idle for long periods of time, the engine will overheat. You must keep moving to keep airflow through the radiator.

it leaks more than a lil, it emptys the tank

• RocketScientist

Posted June 08, 2008 - 12:03 PM

Ok, if it is dumping that much out, check the radiator cap. The cap has 2 seals on it. The smaller inner seal should not be damaged in any way. The inner seal is spring loaded and should be able to get contact with the surface inside the radiator fill hole.

The radiator cap is designed to hold pressure on the coolant system. The extra pressure raises the boiling point of the coolant. If the coolant does not pressurize, it is guaranteed that the coolant will boil and dump out. Most MX bikes have the same size and pressure rated radiator caps. Try borrowing one from another bike.

• urgreathero

Posted June 08, 2008 - 12:30 PM

Ok, if it is dumping that much out, check the radiator cap. The cap has 2 seals on it. The smaller inner seal should not be damaged in any way. The inner seal is spring loaded and should be able to get contact with the surface inside the radiator fill hole.

The radiator cap is designed to hold pressure on the coolant system. The extra pressure raises the boiling point of the coolant. If the coolant does not pressurize, it is guaranteed that the coolant will boil and dump out. Most MX bikes have the same size and pressure rated radiator caps. Try borrowing one from another bike.

alrighty
ill have to try that
thankss

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.