09 Release dates

26 replies to this topic
  • SJMC_DON

Posted June 18, 2008 - 09:32 AM

I have an '08 which I bought in March. I have since jetted it twice, checked the valves, added aftermarket exhaust, added steering damper, change oil after every ride, clean air filter every ride, two rear tires, one front tire, added hand gaurds. I probably spend 1 hour of time per week working on the bike and 4-5 hours riding it. I would have bought another 2t if I didn't want to spend a lot of time maintaining my motorcycle. By the way I have a '98yz250, '01 kx500, '02 kx500, '05crf450x, and a '95dr350se. I do all the work on all of them and enjoy it.

Bolt on goodies and routine maintenance, including checking valve clearances is easy and I agree, fun to do.... report back when you have actually removed your cams to adj. valves or whatever... getting the cam timing spot on and re-installing the chain tensioner is a bitch:prof:

Simple jetting changes (other than the main) take 90 minutes MINIMUM, if you call that fun you are a sick puppy....

Nice collection of bikes:thumbsup:

• BajaFool

Posted June 18, 2008 - 10:21 AM

I'm not sure how this thread wandered so far from the original post concerning when the 2009 WR450F's would be released. Soooooooo, I am going to drag it back to the original subject. Motorcycle USA has a short article about the 2009 WR250/450F's at http://www.motorcycl...eID=6618&Page=1. It is heartening to know that those of you who purchased a 2008 WR450F have in the eyes of Yamaha Corporation purchased the perfect motorcycle to which no further refinements are required, other than the replacement of an unacceptable decal. Perhaps, if you ask, your dealer will replace this offending decal for free and charge it to dealer goodwill.

Those of you who thought that a California dual sport legal motorcycle, with perhaps the addition of YZ style SSS forks for 2009 would be a great move on the part of Yamaha, are clearly uninformed and do not represent the vast majority of customers who have eagerly purchased all of the product that Yamaha has been able to produce for 2008.

If you are disappointed (disgusted?) with Yamaha's shortsightedness, you can discuss this with Yamaha Corporation, by calling Customer Relations at 1-(800)-962-7926. I've spoken with them in the past concerning this issue and I can say with confidence that I felt better after venting about how KTM is eating Yamaha's lunch in California. A state by the way which accounts for a MAJOR portion of all offroad products sold by the motorcycle industry. I plan to replace my 2006 WR450F with something new in 2009. Will it be a pumpkin? I'm sure that I could learn to love an orange motorcycle, but the shame and embarrassment?????????

• SJMC_DON

Posted June 18, 2008 - 10:50 AM

I'm not sure how this thread wandered so far from the original post concerning when the 2009 WR450F's would be released. Soooooooo, I am going to drag it back to the original subject. Motorcycle USA has a short article about the 2009 WR250/450F's at http://www.motorcycl...eID=6618&Page=1. It is heartening to know that those of you who purchased a 2008 WR450F have in the eyes of Yamaha Corporation purchased the perfect motorcycle to which no further refinements are required, other than the replacement of an unacceptable decal. Perhaps, if you ask, your dealer will replace this offending decal for free and charge it to dealer goodwill.

Those of you who thought that a California dual sport legal motorcycle, with perhaps the addition of YZ style SSS forks for 2009 would be a great move on the part of Yamaha, are clearly uninformed and do not represent the vast majority of customers who have eagerly purchased all of the product that Yamaha has been able to produce for 2008.

If you are disappointed (disgusted?) with Yamaha's shortsightedness, you can discuss this with Yamaha Corporation, by calling Customer Relations at 1-(800)-962-7926. I've spoken with them in the past concerning this issue and I can say with confidence that I felt better after venting about how KTM is eating Yamaha's lunch in California. A state by the way which accounts for a MAJOR portion of all offroad products sold by the motorcycle industry. I plan to replace my 2006 WR450F with something new in 2009. Will it be a pumpkin? I'm sure that I could learn to love an orange motorcycle, but the shame and embarrassment?????????

Excellent post... WA state follows suit in that street legalizing a bike imported from Japan is simply not an option. I too will be buying a bike with a plate in 09' and after owning 4 WR's since 1999 I am perplexed as to which bike that will be... Orange, I doubt - but perhaps another euro mfg. known for quality chainsaws and sewing machines :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Face plant

Posted June 19, 2008 - 12:44 PM

other than the replacement of an unacceptable decal. Perhaps, if you ask, your dealer will replace this offending decal [/B]for free and charge it to dealer goodwill.

That new decal on the '09 is definitely a lot nicer than the '08. Looks real good.:thumbsup:

• hammer41

Posted June 19, 2008 - 01:14 PM

What more could they possibly do to the wr450? Its a great bike, even the 05. The 08 must be a lot better.

What it really needs is to be street legal. However, if the price gets to the same range as the KTM's and Husky's, then I wouldn't buy it.

I am not taking anything away from the WR (great bike no question about it). But WR450 list is $7499 and the TE450 list is $7698. Doesn't seem that far away for a street legal race bike and if you don't care about a plate you can get a TXC 450 and list is $7299. If you ever get to ride the TXC I think you might just forget about your WR. To top it off the motor seems to be bullet proof since 05 and working on a Husky is very easy. Jetting takes no more than 10 min and if you ever need a valve adjustment it is about 10 to check and another 10 to install new shims.
Just my 2 cents

• erickdj

Posted June 19, 2008 - 02:14 PM

I am not taking anything away from the WR (great bike no question about it). But WR450 list is $7499 and the TE450 list is $7698. Doesn't seem that far away for a street legal race bike and if you don't care about a plate you can get a TXC 450 and list is $7299. If you ever get to ride the TXC I think you might just forget about your WR. To top it off the motor seems to be bullet proof since 05 and working on a Husky is very easy. Jetting takes no more than 10 min and if you ever need a valve adjustment it is about 10 to check and another 10 to install new shims.
Just my 2 cents

well, not to take anything away from the huskys since they do have a reputation of being good bikes, but your price comparison just doesn't make things even. The "list" price from a WR might be close to the list price of a husky, but in the real world people end up paying about 1K under "list" for a WR, while husky buyers are WAY more likely to pay full list price. and now with gas prices as they are, the demand for dual sport bikes will spike up, making more people pay list price for a husky and not even bother try to negotiate it down. still, 7.5K for a nice dual sport bike is not too bad.

• fordmano

Posted June 28, 2008 - 01:39 AM

This is exactly what I was looking for, the article you linked to was informative, at least to me.:p I have really enjoyed reading this thread and all the different info. about each of your opinions on the WR.:cry: I am definately gonna be buying a WR450 either an "08" or an "09" (depending what the local "STEALERS" have on the floor for the best price on that special day the wife opens up the wallet and lets me run wild) but unfortunately not yet. The cash flow is just not available for this purchase over the next couple of months.:thumbsup: :p

Thanks again all:cheers:
Matt

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.