09 Release dates

26 replies to this topic
  • fordmano

Posted June 06, 2008 - 10:02 PM

Hey All

New around here, my kids have been riding the dirty side for a while now and I have ridden on occasion over the last almost 30 years, I have also been riding on the street primarily over the last 30 years.:thumbsup:

I am just about ready to buy my first "NEW" bike and I have settled on the WR450 but I wanted to know should I wait till the 09's come out and get one of those or wait till the 09's come out and buy an 08 for a better discount or just go ahead and buy the 08 as soon as I can convince the wife we can't wait any longer for a "NEW" bike for me.

Does anyone know the officail release date for the 2009 WR450's?????

• fordmano

Posted June 06, 2008 - 10:42 PM

I found my answer,,,,:cry:

I feel like a real smart one about now.:busted:

I was talking to my coworker and instead of searching I just went ahead and posted my question.. Then we started looking around and WOW!!!! I found what I needed to know I had looked at the Yamaha website night before last from here at work and told my wife I could hardly wait to see the new 09's before making up my mind, and i really wanted to figure out 09 release dates.:busted: :ride: :ride:

Anyway thanks too you folks that posted up what I needed.:thumbsup:

• Wiz636

Posted June 07, 2008 - 01:00 AM

Doesn't look like there is any reason to buy an '09 WR if you can buy a discounted '08. No change. Bad Yamaha! :thumbsup:

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted June 07, 2008 - 08:38 AM

Doesn't look like there is any reason to buy an '09 WR if you can buy a discounted '08. No change. Bad Yamaha! :thumbsup:

What more could they possibly do to the wr450? Its a great bike, even the 05. The 08 must be a lot better.

What it really needs is to be street legal. However, if the price gets to the same range as the KTM's and Husky's, then I wouldn't buy it.

• MountainMax

Posted June 07, 2008 - 03:52 PM

Welcome to the club........

• wartsnuff

Posted June 09, 2008 - 07:21 AM

congrats on the purchase.

i love my big blue 08 450

cheers
Warts

• chrispy1202

Posted June 12, 2008 - 12:46 AM

If they make a street legal WR 450, hope it works better than the KTM's. Friends of mine that have bought these have had to dick around with them to get them so they will work on the trails as well as the road. Mainly gearing and carb issuse, which may be the same for all the new "Dualsports". May be the dealership they are being sold out of too????

• SJMC_DON

Posted June 12, 2008 - 07:41 AM

What more could they possibly do to the wr450? Its a great bike, even the 05. The 08 must be a lot better.

What it really needs is to be street legal. However, if the price gets to the same range as the KTM's and Husky's, then I wouldn't buy it.

They could dump the Aluminum frame or ad EFI or do something that makes these things a little easier to work on :thumbsup:

My next bike will come in 09' and it will have a plate, if it means I try to bamboozle the state of WA somehow to get a plate on a WR then so be it but as much as I love Yamaha and the WR, my 07' is really trying my patience right now :busted: Admittedly a lot of my frustration is my own doing by trying to make the bike more like a YZ but now that I am deep into it with cam and jetting changes / adjustments I would give my left nut for a steel frame that actually allowed me to work on the bike in an efficient manner:prof:

• WGP

Posted June 12, 2008 - 01:43 PM

They should have put the superior YZ suspension on the WR!!:thumbsup:

I guess another year on the YZ after loving my 05 WR but getting beat up racing it.

• erickdj

Posted June 12, 2008 - 03:10 PM

Admittedly a lot of my frustration is my own doing by trying to make the bike more like a YZ but now that I am deep into it with cam and jetting changes / adjustments I would give my left nut for a steel frame that actually allowed me to work on the bike in an efficient manner:prof:

I think a big part of the problems you're having with the cams/jetting is that stock wr muffler you're using. I can't imagine trying to make my yz work with the wr stock muffler.:thumbsup: in your own words, you're trying to make your wr more like a yz, so give it a muffler that would work well on a yz.

gotta agree with you there on the frame issues, aluminum frames may look nice, but they make it a nightmare to work on the bikes. :busted:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SJMC_DON

Posted June 12, 2008 - 03:56 PM

I think a big part of the problems you're having with the cams/jetting is that stock wr muffler you're using. I can't imagine trying to make my yz work with the wr stock muffler.:busted: in your own words, you're trying to make your wr more like a yz, so give it a muffler that would work well on a yz.

gotta agree with you there on the frame issues, aluminum frames may look nice, but they make it a nightmare to work on the bikes. :busted:

I have since re-installed the WR cams (I got YZ Cams for sale boys:smirk:) now I need to re-jet after all the jetting changes I made to compensate the issues I thought I was having with the jetting after I made the cam swap:banghead:

Bottom line - WR's are great, suspension is average at best but at the end of the day it will boil down to rider 90% of the time... my bike is a Pumpkin Killer and holds it's own with any YZ on the off road courses (I would not use a WR for MX, it's out of it's element totally).... but these bikes just plain suck to work on:prof:

How many of you have tried to remove and re-install your timing chain tensioner on your 07' - 08'? You'll know what I am talking about :thumbsup:

• erickdj

Posted June 12, 2008 - 04:20 PM

I have since re-installed the WR cams (I got YZ Cams for sale boys:smirk:) now I need to re-jet after all the jetting changes I made to compensate the issues I thought I was having with the jetting after I made the cam swap:banghead:

Bottom line - WR's are great, suspension is average at best but at the end of the day it will boil down to rider 90% of the time... my bike is a Pumpkin Killer and holds it's own with any YZ on the off road courses (I would not use a WR for MX, it's out of it's element totally).... but these bikes just plain suck to work on:prof:

How many of you have tried to remove and re-install your timing chain tensioner on your 07' - 08'? You'll know what I am talking about :thumbsup:

wow, I didn't think you'd give up on the cams that easily, but I just don't have an idea of how much effort you put into it, so to each his own.

gotta agree with you there, WR's are awesome machines, they're not perfect, but overall they are VERY good for their intended use. that's why I got a yz to complement my WR.

• swede426

Posted June 13, 2008 - 12:09 AM

Sounds like you should have bought a YZ instead.
I personally would'nt change my WR for a YZ after a long day of riding.
The characteristics of the WR engine is the biggest reason why I bought it and I'm less tired coming from the WR than off the YZ after full day.
The suspension is holding up good and is not made for jumping any bigger jumps and other mx-like riding.

• SJMC_DON

Posted June 13, 2008 - 07:38 AM

I race my WR in a pretty competitve class, I wanted the bottom end hit that the YZ offered so I went with some OEM YZ cams. I liked the performance gains but the e-start would not work... everything I learned was that the YZ cam de-comp pin was allowing too much exhaust to dump and the e-start was not going to spin fast enuf to build up necessary compression :thumbsup:

Cam timing on these bikes is very tricky (at least to me:bonk:)

My advice to any WR owners considering different cams would be to go with a Hotcams product specifically made for the WR :busted:

This is my 4th WR, I know what they are made for and what they are capable of (series championships :busted:) but this 07' is easily, hands down, the hardest bike I have ever owned to work on... (rant off).

• GCannon

Posted June 13, 2008 - 09:53 AM

I agree, but if they turn it into a "Street Turd" like the new 250 I will not be interested!

• fordmano

Posted June 14, 2008 - 09:15 PM

Hey everyone a big thanks for your responses and opinions.:busted:

Like normal in my ZOO my wife has put down her foot, right on my BALLS and no bike purchase as of right now. Maybe Christmas time will be better around my place.:ride:

So I am borrowing my brother in-laws old WR250 2-smoke:crazy: :ride: (again) for a while.
his 2smoker is not my "cup o tea" but whats a guy gonna do, I just wanna be out there riding with my sons.:busted:

Have a great summer all of you,:thumbsup: I will linger in your shadows for now.:cry:

• MountainMax

Posted June 15, 2008 - 06:10 AM

people are having problems with the 'hotcams' and estart too, I have yz cams in my 06, and it would not start with the e button until i got the jetting spot on, and got the starting figured out, when mine is cold, choke and two slow twists of the throttle (like a primer) and she starts, and when warm i always use the hot start lever and it works about 95% of the time, well worth the yz cam power.......

• kawi380

Posted June 15, 2008 - 01:31 PM

Man, what a bunch of winers....I love riding my wr so much that working on the bike doesn't seem like that big of a deal. Maybe if we wine enough we can end up like california where you can't ride anything unless it has pedals

• SJMC_DON

Posted June 16, 2008 - 07:30 AM

Man, what a bunch of winers....I love riding my wr so much that working on the bike doesn't seem like that big of a deal. Maybe if we wine enough we can end up like california where you can't ride anything unless it has pedals

What year WR do you have and how much work do actually do to it?

Thanks - "The Whiner":moon:

• kawi380

Posted June 17, 2008 - 06:18 PM

What year WR do you have and how much work do actually do to it?

Thanks - "The Whiner":moon:

I have an '08 which I bought in March. I have since jetted it twice, checked the valves, added aftermarket exhaust, added steering damper, change oil after every ride, clean air filter every ride, two rear tires, one front tire, added hand gaurds. I probably spend 1 hour of time per week working on the bike and 4-5 hours riding it. I would have bought another 2t if I didn't want to spend a lot of time maintaining my motorcycle. By the way I have a '98yz250, '01 kx500, '02 kx500, '05crf450x, and a '95dr350se. I do all the work on all of them and enjoy it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.