Excessive chain noise 08 wr450

5 replies to this topic
  • kennysandbar

Posted June 06, 2008 - 07:46 PM

I have read many posts and nobody has mentioned excessive chain noise and bouncing. Than chain is adjusted to mfg. specs and I have tried going a little tighter and looser with the same results.After my ride last weekend I even noticed it had worn the aluminum frame up close to the counter shaft.I have owned a 1999 wr400 and several other thumpers but never felt this much noise or vibration. the dealer told me to check the notches at the swing arm and they are straight on each side. any ideas ?

• Demo_Slug

Posted June 06, 2008 - 07:56 PM

I have read many posts and nobody has mentioned excessive chain noise and bouncing

search for "chain slap"

• Jeff_Steckline

Posted June 07, 2008 - 07:07 AM

T.M. designworks chain guide, Ironman sprocket, Rk chain.
I keep reading about this problem, (it's the user not the bike) adjust properly. should not be a problem again. Jeff S

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dirtnerd

Posted June 07, 2008 - 08:43 AM

I have had two wr 450s (06,08) my 06 rubbed on the subframe but the 08 is fine. The 08 made a lot of chain noise also so I took the screws out of the chain slider (front sprocket side) and put a layer of (black) silcone on the top and bottom of the swing arm and the black plastic. It is very quiet now when I am lugging through tight single track.
Hope this helps.

• bg10459

Posted June 08, 2008 - 04:17 AM

The 08 made a lot of chain noise also so I took the screws out of the chain slider (front sprocket side) and put a layer of (black) silcone on the top and bottom of the swing arm and the black plastic. It is very quiet now when I am lugging through tight single track.
Hope this helps.

This is it. What you're hearing is the chain hitting the slider and the slider hitting the swingarm. Silicone the slider to the swingarm and the noise will be drastically reduced. It will also prevent sand or dirt from getting between the swingarm and the slider and wearing into the swingarm.

• KennyMc

Posted June 08, 2008 - 07:58 PM

I just put some weather stripping on the swingarm and the noise is gone. It was especially loud when riding on the street.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.