FMF Powercore 4 installation help??

6 replies to this topic
  • Dude

Posted December 01, 2002 - 09:11 AM

Just received a Powercore 4 off of Ebay and am having problems on the install.

1. The stock muffler clamp is too big. Where do I find one smaller?

2. It didn't come with the gasket between the muffler/header pipe. What should I use?

3. Is there supposed to be a metal sleeve inside of the rubber bushing on the rear mount?

4. The pipe comes really close to the rear brake reservoir. Should I relocate it, or is it OK

Thanks for your help.

Posted December 01, 2002 - 10:04 AM

1. Contact fmf for a replacement clamp
2. it doesnt use any gasket, thats why you need a smaller clamp.
3. no

• Thumpleupagus

Posted December 02, 2002 - 05:11 AM

#2... I think the fit of the silencer to the head pipe is pretty poor. I tried to use a liquid exhaust gasket from an auto parts store (get the highest temp rated stuff you can find)-it worked fair, but it was red and looked like crap. Don't bother with the "tape" gasket made for exhausts-it melts right away.

#3... Yes there should be a metal sleeve to fit inside the rubber bushing at the rear mount. At least mine had one...

I agree with all the other answers.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • lewichris

Posted December 02, 2002 - 05:52 AM

use some high temp gasket maker silacone on the connection. Yamabond makes some just for exhaust.
That is what i used.

• Dude

Posted December 04, 2002 - 02:33 PM

FYI, the stock 250F exhaust gasket fits perfectly into the FMF exhaust pipe.

Thanks for the help.

• Thumpin'_Canuck

Posted December 06, 2002 - 07:39 PM

Dude, You may want to heat tape the pipe around the brake res. Mine was melted when I bought the bike. At least keep an eye on it for heat damage.

• groundhog

Posted December 08, 2002 - 06:16 AM

I used a piece of exhaust gasket material (comes in small sheets from auto parts store) about 1" wide, wraped it around the pipe & used the stock clamp. I can re-use the gasket when I change my oil filter on the '00.

Have had no problems with an unprotected brake reservoir - on a YZ

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.