2008 YZ450 e-start

10 replies to this topic
  • YY4U

Posted June 06, 2008 - 06:29 AM

I know this is going to ruffle some feathers but what would be involved in equipping said bike with a button ? Perhaps there are even kits out there, I do not know. I waffled on getting a WR but decided on the YZ KNOWING I would take it on the track and the WR is not really a track bike. As I am only 5'6" and quite out of shape at the moment I am finding the YZ hard to kick since my inseam is only 27" ! I bought a kickstand but I always feel like I am going to fall over the other direction when I start it on the stand. I strongly considered a KTM but they seem even taller when I sat on one at the dealer and I really wanted to stay blue - or I guess white in this case. Any help would be appreciated.

• TimFurryBalls

Posted June 06, 2008 - 06:44 AM

You can spends thousands on trying to find a starter for the YZF 450 which hasn't been made yet, put in starter gears into your tranny, as well as a stator, or you can buy the kit. The kit is called a WRF 450.

• grayracer513

Posted June 06, 2008 - 06:56 AM

The short list of parts you'd need to swap over the WR450 starter includes:

Stator (rewound for compatibility with the YZ CDI)

Left crankcase cover

Starter motor

Starter drive

That ought to be about $1000-1200 right there, and of course, there's wiring and miscellaneous hardware....

Doable, but practical?

• YY4U

Posted June 06, 2008 - 07:04 AM

Depends on how much disposable income one has I suppose. I still think it is cheaper than "YZing" a WR. I honestly would not mind paying 1500-2000 to someone to roll my bike in w/o and roll it out with an e-start.

Really though I have read a number of threads about people saying how easy it is to start a properly tuned YZ450 but it is just a stature thing for me. To get my foot on top of the kick start at TDC and have the other foot on the ground nearly takes my hip out of joint with my super short legs and I am flexible enough to nearly do the splits ! So it is not an effort thing, the conditioning will come, it is a physical limitation.

• grayracer513

Posted June 06, 2008 - 08:24 AM

I doubt you could get it done for $2K, by the time all the necessary parts were assembled, and the labor for a one-off custom job like that was figured in.

Frankly, I think you're wrong about the cost of YZ'ing a WR. A set of forks goes for <$450 on eBay, and a set of YZ cams is about $300. Add a DRD exhaust for <$500. The rest is pretty much just removing parts.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YY4U

Posted June 06, 2008 - 09:43 AM

I never considered WR'ing the YZ and vice versa when I was looking at purchasing initially....if I had I may have arrived at the same conclusion and opted for the WR and get the YZ parts...never thought that far ahead I guess ! We'll see how it goes, maybe I will get accustomed to starting and it won't be an issue after I figure out something that works for me. If I am lucky, maybe I post in the classifieds and find someone going the opposite way and we can help each other's costs a bit.

• buzzfin

Posted June 06, 2008 - 11:33 AM

Frankly, I think you're wrong about the cost of YZ'ing a WR. A set of forks goes for <$450 on eBay, and a set of YZ cams is about $300. Add a DRD exhaust for <$500. The rest is pretty much just removing parts.

What about the rear suspension? Doesn't the WR use a softer rear shock too?

• DirtyDirty

Posted June 07, 2008 - 08:05 AM

Trim your seat down. I'm 5'6" also and it made a world of difference on my bike.

• YY4U

Posted June 07, 2008 - 08:25 AM

I thought of that and still may. It will probably spoil the effect of the two tone on the seat but I may get a custom job done or get an all black or grey cover maybe. Thanks for the reminder !

• mikedabike

Posted June 07, 2008 - 09:17 PM

I think a couple of companys make a shorter kicker that might help you a bit.
They really are easy to start if set up right.

• YY4U

Posted June 07, 2008 - 10:06 PM

A shorter kicker may help, thanks for the tip. Anyone using one of these ? Opinions ?

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.