1979 KX250 hard to start

3 replies to this topic
  • fujioko

Posted 06 June 2008 - 04:12 AM

Hi ‘ya folks,

I recently picked up a ’79 KX250. After riding the bike, I decided it was not practical for my trail riding (way to fast). The bike is currently on ebay.

Anyway the bike is a real pain to start. I put in a new NGK plug and it still is a pain. I ended up using my huge power drill with a 13MM socket and spinning the engine over to get it to start reliably.

The bike will actually start better using a spark plug from my ’50 ford tractor. I speculate the shorter plug decreases the compression enough to allow the CDI to fire (assuming the CDI is failing). Does this sound correct?

Also, anyone know the correct gap for the NGK?

Thanks

• Fatback

Posted 06 June 2008 - 08:23 AM

id do a compression check first. thats an old bike, and who knows what the top end is like.

a bad top end will be very hard to start, as you said was your problem.

• shrubitup

Posted 06 June 2008 - 03:12 PM

dump a tsp of pre mix into the cylinder with the stock plug. this will give better ring seal and increase compression to make it start easier. this is the poor mans top end rebuild trick.

• Jeekinz

Posted 06 June 2008 - 03:37 PM

Shoot.

If you were closer I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Is it hard to start after it has been run already?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.