How often do you guys change your pistons?

14 replies to this topic
  • MountainMax

Posted June 05, 2008 - 05:23 PM

IM a WR guy myself but i just read in the June issue of Dirt Bike how often Professional Racers replace parts, it scared me, I knew they were higher maintenance but it sounded crazy, changing pistons every race, subframes every 2 races, plastic and stickers every race, grips ever race, tires every race, that just blew me away. Am I just Nieve? Dam, how often do you guys riding or racing YZ's change out parts like pistons and subframes, lol ????????

• swatdoc

Posted June 05, 2008 - 05:29 PM

Yea, i read that arcticle too, so just to be safe I think I'm gonna start changing my frame after every two rides.

• MountainMax

Posted June 05, 2008 - 05:33 PM

hehe, yeah, I think I might also, just in case. But I have another part of that question, what do the do with all the take off parts???????????????????

• KJ790

Posted June 05, 2008 - 05:51 PM

At that level they can't afford not to replace everything all the time. Not to mention that everything is given to them for free. For their sponsors they have to keep the bikes looking new all the time so they get new plastic and graphics every race. They don't want to risk any failures of any kind, so they replace everything very often. The average racer or even privateer pros only replace most parts when they are broken, bent, it worn out. I personally change my pistons between 40 and 50 hours on the hour meter, change my oil every 2 hours, change my graphics at least once a year, and change my plastic when it starts looking bad (the 450 in my garage is 3 years old with the original plastic and people always make comments to me about how lucky I am to get new bikes all the time :thumbsup: ). Most other stuff gets replaced when it is worn out or broken.

• MountainMax

Posted June 05, 2008 - 06:01 PM

Yeah, makes sense I guess, but what do they do with all their take off parts?

• KJ790

Posted June 05, 2008 - 06:05 PM

Yeah, makes sense I guess, but what do they do with all their take off parts?

They give plastic subframes and stock parts like that to fans in the pits after the race, the works parts are kept, rebuilt, and reused if possible, otherwise the put on practice bikes or they put it on a shelf. There was a video up recently showing Honda USA headquarters and they said that they keep every part used on a shelf as a reference of what works.

• FreshDonutsCAN

Posted June 05, 2008 - 06:35 PM

Forget those rules in dirtrider i suggest you buy a new bike each time you ride just to be safe. Dont take any chances out on the track/trails! . :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • nap__kxf

Posted June 05, 2008 - 07:13 PM

i'll change the piston when my bike stops firing. luckily yamaha's are bulletproof.

• swaldrop

Posted June 05, 2008 - 07:31 PM

i'll change the piston when my bike stops firing. luckily yamaha's are bulletproof.

Easy... That can get you in trouble...

• 642MX

Posted June 05, 2008 - 07:42 PM

I change my piston once a year and I have the original subframe. :thumbsup:

• Dodger

Posted June 06, 2008 - 09:28 AM

2001 WZ426

Have yet to put a new piston in, have yet to check the valves. Still has awsom e compression, starts great, runs hard.

That being said, it's my buddy bike now, and I actually am going to rebuild everything and start riding it again. I've just had a hard time tearing into it yet, as it still runs so good. But, I know failure is a matter of time, so it's time for pre-emptive work.

• mjw1

Posted June 06, 2008 - 07:08 PM

Change the piston every year to be on the safe side but you can usually go two years.

• dejavudarrell

Posted June 06, 2008 - 11:44 PM

I have A 2000 yz426 First time tune up since new was in 1/08 and all the engine needed was A new sparkplug!

• grayracer513

Posted June 07, 2008 - 08:09 AM

The '03 I had had about 400 hours on the original valves and piston and everything else, and still ran great.

I'm planning on putting a fresh set of rings in my older '06 this year, and I might replace the piston, even though I kind of doubt I'll find anything wrong with it.

In the 5 years the YZ450 has been out, I don't think I've seen a piston ever be the point of failure, except in a seizure from heat or lack of oil. It seems to me that a one year replacement interval is more than most people would need.

• MountainMax

Posted June 07, 2008 - 03:18 PM

Great info guys, i didn't think they 'needed' this type of maintenance, not like the old two strokes, the 125's couldn't keep pistons in them. I didn't think the new 450's were anything like those. I have heard some wr's (some at yz spec like mine) getting 10000 miles on them without problems

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.