Coolant Leaking While Transporting

6 replies to this topic
  • KennyMc

Posted June 05, 2008 - 08:33 AM

My 07 WR450 seems to leak a bit of coolant while in the back of my truck on the way home after a ride. It comes out of the tubes hanging under the motor. I would imagine it is just coolant left over in the overflow tube but just wanted to know if other people are experiencing the same thing. Also, anything to do about it? It makes a bit of a mess in the truck. Thanks.

• matt4x4

Posted June 05, 2008 - 09:11 AM

it really shouldn't be doing that, your coolant should expand to the overflow tank at the back, then suck back in from there as it cools (contracts).
the only way you get coolant from the line under the bike is if your overflow tank is.....well.....overflowing!
How high is your level in the tank when cold - it should be midrange between low and high.
Could it be that it is coming from your water pump weep hole under the front right side of the engine?

• mvryder

Posted June 05, 2008 - 09:15 AM

Ya know mine does the same thing. I have been thinking it is just the sloshing action of the fluid in the overflow tank making it way into and down the black tube.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • drtbk4ever

Posted June 05, 2008 - 12:42 PM

How high is your level in the tank when cold - it should be midrange between low and high.
Could it be that it is coming from your water pump weep hole under the front right side of the engine?

Check to see just how much coolant you have in that overflow tank. It is not supposed to be full. There are lines on the plastic that indicate low and high levels and they both occur in the lower half of the overflow tank.

Have a look and get back to us.

• atitagain

Posted June 05, 2008 - 01:32 PM

I also noticed mine "crying" in the back of my truck and in the garage after a hard day of riding. After looking at the cooling system diagram, I determined it was coming out of the catch bottle vent tube. Since then I greatly reduced the amount of coolant in the bottle to just about a 1/2", but I make sure my radiator if full! WA-LA (sp) no more "crying"!

• jandmsuburban7

Posted June 05, 2008 - 07:39 PM

Hey guys, check to see if the tubes got pinched a little bit around the battery cage and the plastics or seat. If the tube is pinched on one end the pressure is built up and may bleed out a bit.

• carpman

Posted June 05, 2008 - 08:37 PM

My 2007 WR450 leaked a little out of the weep hole not long after my first good ride. I was told it is common for dealers to put too much coolant in new bikes which will cause some overflow. I changed the coolant and put in the right amount and have never had the problem again.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.