If I Sunk My WR?............

9 replies to this topic
  • Dube2

Posted June 05, 2008 - 07:19 AM

Just got done watching a video on the California Forums of dozens of bikes crossing a river and dropping like flies. Too damn funny, you need to see it.:thumbsup:

Anyway it brought up a few questions......

If I just happen to sink one of my (2) wr's? assuming the intake box is full and now maybe the jug is taking on water? water in the oil?

What is the first:thumbsup: and last:thumbsdn: thing to do? No really, do I turn the bike on it's back and let drain? I plan on doing some more trail/DS riding and wnat to know all the ins and outs to get the bike up and running again. Is it even possible? or is it a push back to the truck and take her home. :busted: I realize that turning the bike off before it goes under is the best way to start, but sometimes you just may not be ready for a last minute submarine job.:busted:

I saw a video a few years back of some riders making deep water crossing at a high rate of speed. Some actually making it all the way across and some just disapeared in like 6 feet of water. The next frame was the same rider, same bike, doing it again. How did he get the bike running on such a short amount of time.

Your thoughts and ideas would be greatly appreciated.............

• xrmarty

Posted June 05, 2008 - 07:27 AM

Just got done watching a video on the California Forums of dozens of bikes crossing a river and dropping like flies. Too damn funny, you need to see it.:thumbsup:

can we have the link?

Anyway it brought up a few questions......

If I just happen to sink one of my (2) wr's? assuming the intake box is full and now maybe the jug is taking on water? water in the oil?

What is the first:thumbsup: and last:thumbsdn: thing to do? No really, do I turn the bike on it's back and let drain? I plan on doing some more trail/DS riding and wnat to know all the ins and outs to get the bike up and running again. Is it even possible? or is it a push back to the truck and take her home. :busted: I realize that turning the bike off before it goes under is the best way to start, but sometimes you just may not be ready for a last minute submarine job.:busted:

I saw a video a few years back of some riders making deep water crossing at a high rate of speed. Some actually making it all the way across and some just disapeared in like 6 feet of water. The next frame was the same rider, same bike, doing it again. How did he get the bike running on such a short amount of time.

Your thoughts and ideas would be greatly appreciated.............

As for me, I would remove and dry the air filter first. Remove the plug to get water out of cylinder. Once I get the bike running take it back to the truck and home for an oil change.

• Dube2

Posted June 05, 2008 - 07:37 AM

LINK TO VIDEO..............

Fools Gold Enduro YouTube Fun

Here is a little video of the Deep Water (it was low this year) crossing at this years Fools Gold Enduro. I like the guy standing next to his bike on the trail, then he disappears!!!! Thank You to Buddy for making this.

Kraig Traum

• tribalbc

Posted June 05, 2008 - 07:50 AM

When I drowned my wr the big trick was to drain the float bowl plug. I think it sucked up water through the vent tubes.
Didn't get any water in the crankase though :thumbsup:

Luckily I did manage to kill it before she fully drowned.

• MotoGoalie

Posted June 05, 2008 - 07:57 AM

Key to this is to route your T vented carb vents into your airbox or UP HIGH as well as your engine breather tube. That keeps any burbling from vaccuums from happening.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • matt4x4

Posted June 05, 2008 - 08:11 AM

I'm not 100% sure, but those looked like 2 strokes, in which case, the tranny/clutch isn't going to get water into it through the airbox, turning it upside down and cranking it over a couple of times should empty most water from the crank area if you did get some in through the airbox. Startting it will relube the crank from the fuel.
Unfortunately, 4 strokes are a lot more complicated when it comes to taking on water, an immediate oilchange is pretty much mandatory.
The old Can-Ams had a snorkel above the front of the gastank - nice and high - you could pretty much sub the entire bike and just keep on going!

• AnimalDan

Posted June 05, 2008 - 11:39 AM

Procedure to undrown a bike as I stole it from another thread (don't remember who, sorry) on TT.

• Clean out the air box, remove and dry the air filter
• Remove the spark plug.
• Flip the bike upside down and manually pump the kick starter by hand 52 times to get the water out of the cylinder.
• Stand the bike up on its rear wheel to drain the muffler and pump the kick starter 12 times. Or remove the exhaust and drain it.
• Flip the bike back upside down and pump the kick starter 21 times to get more water out of the cylinder.
• Drain carburetor float bowl.
• Re-install a new and dry spark plug.
• Re-install air cleaner.
• Start the bike
• At the shop
o Replace the oil and oil filter until it is no longer milky
o Flush the brake fluids

• CAD EVO

Posted June 05, 2008 - 11:44 AM

Im goin to keep my 450 on dirt for now :thumbsup:

• Dube2

Posted June 05, 2008 - 12:31 PM

Procedure to undrown a bike as I stole it from another thread (don't remember who, sorry) on TT.

• Clean out the air box, remove and dry the air filter
• Remove the spark plug.
• Flip the bike upside down and manually pump the kick starter by hand 52 times to get the water out of the cylinder.
• Stand the bike up on its rear wheel to drain the muffler and pump the kick starter 12 times. Or remove the exhaust and drain it.
• Flip the bike back upside down and pump the kick starter 21 times to get more water out of the cylinder.
• Drain carburetor float bowl.
• Re-install a new and dry spark plug.
• Re-install air cleaner.
• Start the bike
• At the shop
o Replace the oil and oil filter until it is no longer milky
o Flush the brake fluids

Thanks AD, As I have CRS and can't remember shit!, I'm going to print this out, laminate it and keep it in my back pack. You just never know what will happen 20-miles from camp/Yami shop.:thumbsup:

• drtbk4ever

Posted June 05, 2008 - 12:35 PM

:thumbsup: :busted: :busted:

Great video.

Lessons learned from this video.

Don't go to the left, it is always deeper over there.

And the blue bikes seemed to have a much easier time crossing.
Ride Blue.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.