Did I just screw up?

6 replies to this topic
  • diesel03

Posted June 03, 2008 - 09:23 AM

I am in need of a little help. I am installing a new Hot Rods wr crank in a yfz engine, and wonder if I just made a mistake. When we installed it we put the crank in the freezer and the case in the oven so the crank would hopefully slide right in. Well the crank slid in about half way into the bearing and wouldnt go any farther. So I took a rubber mallet and tapped on the end and it went the rest of the way, it went in with 4 or 5 taps (nothing aggressive). Now I am wondering if I should have tapped the crank, did I mess anything up? I am concerned I could have done something to the crank. Any help would be great.

• matt4x4

Posted June 03, 2008 - 10:12 AM

you'll be alright if your definition of agressive is similar to mine, remember that cranks have to be pretty tough with all the force continually going into them. it takes more than a couple of taps from a rubber mallet to mess one up.
Also, when you zip the case back up, you usually also have to tap the case with a rubber mallet, where is that force going if the bearing and crank bind? same place - the crank.
Mine slid right in with just heating the case, did it on it's side with the case on blocks so gravity could help.

• sparkyz

Posted June 03, 2008 - 10:45 AM

I don't know if this applies to your bike in terms of interchangability but thought I'd post the link since it just came up....
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=650738

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • camman

Posted June 03, 2008 - 06:51 PM

If you used a rubber mallet you will be ok - dont worry.

• diesel03

Posted June 03, 2008 - 08:13 PM

Thanks for the replys, I feel better about it now.

• sparkyz

Posted June 03, 2008 - 08:25 PM

Did you check out the link I posted? Is the WR crank going to work ok in your bike, or rather will you be able to get a stator that will work?

• grayracer513

Posted June 03, 2008 - 09:48 PM

The engine he's working on is a YFZ, not a YZF. The crank is the same.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.