Piston Ring Identification-426

2 replies to this topic
  • hazey123

Posted June 03, 2008 - 08:28 AM

Replacing my piston (1st time) and was assembling the new rings last night. I got through the oil rings and up to the two compression rings and realized I don't know which goes where? WHich is the top and which is the bottom piston ring? One is darker in color than the other and one has a chamfer on the top inside edge (ID). I'm thinking the chamfer on the ID means something but not sure what? Please help so I can get this beast back together.
THanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 03, 2008 - 11:18 AM

The darker one will more than likely be the second ring.

• hazey123

Posted June 03, 2008 - 04:54 PM

I looked them over some more tonight and found they are too different sizes so the thicker top ring cannot go into the lower groove. The top ring also happens to be the lighter color ring.
Thanks for your help.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.