Piston Ring Identification

8 replies to this topic
  • hazey123

Posted June 03, 2008 - 08:20 AM

Replacing my piston (1st time) and was assembling the new rings last night. I got through the oil rings and up to the two compression rings and realized I don't know which goes where? WHich is the top and which is the bottom piston ring? One is darker in color than the other and one has a chamfer on the top inside edge (ID). I'm thinking the chamfer on the ID means something but not sure what? Please help so I can get this beast back together.
THanks

• huffster

Posted June 03, 2008 - 08:26 AM

Most ring packs include some help text with what goes where...Are these OE rings or aftermarket ? Aftermarket vendors should have technical reps to help you.

• hazey123

Posted June 03, 2008 - 08:34 AM

It is a PRO X piston kit. THey are supposed to be very similar to OEM. I didn't see any text with my kit at all.
Also, in case I forgot, one ring is black while the other is light in color.

• SXP

Posted June 03, 2008 - 09:53 AM

It is a PRO X piston kit. THey are supposed to be very similar to OEM. I didn't see any text with my kit at all.
Also, in case I forgot, one ring is black while the other is light in color.

I seem to remember the rings (and the slots in the piston) being of two different thicknesses, so you couldn't put the wrong ring in the wrong slot - no?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • matt4x4

Posted June 03, 2008 - 10:03 AM

mine's apart right now, I think it's got the dark ring up top but I'll check tonite, post news tomorrow, I got OEM rings though.

• hazey123

Posted June 03, 2008 - 04:52 PM

SXP, you are absolutely right. I didn't even check that and I happen to get the assembly right when I put them together. They are too different sizes so the thicker top ring cannot go into the lower groove. The top ring also happens to be the lighter color ring.

Matt4x4, let me know what you see. I am curious if your black ring is also the lower of the two compression rings.
Thanks guys.

• huffster

Posted June 04, 2008 - 05:55 AM

The PROX stuff is OEM, see if you can figure it out by looking at your shop manual or online parts fiche.

• William1

Posted June 04, 2008 - 02:49 PM

One more point. The rings typically have a mark of some sort, The mark usually goes up (facing the piston crown).

• chrispy1202

Posted June 12, 2008 - 01:13 AM

doesn't one of the rings have a 'T' marked on it to show which it is?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.