So that's why my bike was so slow?

5 replies to this topic
  • little_twin

Posted May 31, 2008 - 09:17 PM

I have put 15 hours on my supermoto bike (07 YZf450) since putting in a high compression piston and had the head ported. The first few rides it felt great, pulled hard from bottom to top, and I was very happy with the way it ran. Then it started felling a little slower. It was lacking most on top. Today I decided I should check the valves and I find that the intake cam was one tooth retarded! I know it was timed correctly when it was re-assembled, so my question is, is 15 hours too much for one cam chain? I know they yamaha's go through them, but 15 hours!?

Now, properly timed, and with a new cam chain it pulls as hard as I remember.

• grayracer513

Posted May 31, 2008 - 09:37 PM

You may have partially seized the intake cam. Inspect the cam journals in the head and cap carefully, and check the clearance of the cam to the head. It's also possible that the tensioner failed to operate as designed.

• MaxPower

Posted June 01, 2008 - 04:16 AM

[COLOR="Green"]when I got the 250F in 01, I couldnt see why everyone like them so much. I thought they were slow as anything. For 2 rides I hated it.It turns out I left a rag in the airbox.It ran much better with it out[/COLOR]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • btray

Posted June 01, 2008 - 04:49 AM

been there done that...one of the first times I cleaned the air box, I stuffed a rag up in there as I washed with degreaser and such...put it all back together and it started fine...road down to the track on our property and it died and wouldnt start as we went through changing the plug I remembered what I had done...problem was it was in front of my two whiz brother-in-law mechanics and my 29 yr old son...they often check me now for rags in the carberator by doing a rag count around the shop...:thumbsup: just kidding:bonk:

anyway I'm 56 in a couple of months...now I have excuses right?

One of those brother-in-laws gaulded the journals on his first 250f top end rebuild and fixed it the old fashioned way. Ingenious but crude.

• intensem1rider

Posted June 01, 2008 - 05:33 AM

I have put 15 hours on my supermoto bike (07 YZf450) since putting in a high compression piston and had the head ported. The first few rides it felt great, pulled hard from bottom to top, and I was very happy with the way it ran. Then it started felling a little slower. It was lacking most on top. Today I decided I should check the valves and I find that the intake cam was one tooth retarded! I know it was timed correctly when it was re-assembled, so my question is, is 15 hours too much for one cam chain? I know they yamaha's go through them, but 15 hours!?

Now, properly timed, and with a new cam chain it pulls as hard as I remember.

Did you replace the cam chain when you did the rebuild? If not, shame on you!

But if you did then check for binding on the cams, they should rotate freely with the chain off, and make sure your cam chain tensioner is staying locked in position and does not back out.

• little_twin

Posted June 01, 2008 - 08:04 PM

Yup, new cam chain went in with the rebuild.

I'll check to make sure it isn't binding.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.