Need to make my 02 WR426 lighter

3 replies to this topic
  • Nathanael

Posted May 31, 2008 - 10:25 AM

I was thinking of a few things:

New exhaust/silencer. I'm still running the stock one here and recently had it off and was surprised at how heavy it was. Any recommendations for a lighter one that will be good in desert racing? I mostly race Hare and Hounds and a few Hare Scrambles, with some occasional MX track.

New gas tank. I'm currently running something like 4 gallons I think...I was considering getting an IMS YZ desert tank which is 3.4 gallons. That would require new shrouds (which is fine...mine are hammered), and a new seat...however would that also require a new sub-frame (in order for the seat to attach properly)? Any other ideas in this regard?

Removing headlight, odometer, coolant reservoir.

Opinions on stock forks? So far they've done me okay, but whenever I ride a bike that has more "race" type forks I wish I had some.

I would just buy a new bike and make fewer mods, but I've already put a few pretty pennies into this one over the years, plus I happen to really like it...the thing is indestructible I swear.

Any other ideas?

Also a non-related question - it's always had a ton of compression but lately there doesn't seem to be much. I've been told maybe I need to replace the piston or something - any ideas on what's wrong? As a result it's become a little harder to start which is frustrating - used to always fire right up.

Thanks for the help!

• swede426

Posted May 31, 2008 - 11:38 AM

I was thinking of a few things:

New exhaust/silencer. I'm still running the stock one here and recently had it off and was surprised at how heavy it was. Any recommendations for a lighter one that will be good in desert racing? I mostly race Hare and Hounds and a few Hare Scrambles, with some occasional MX track.

New gas tank. I'm currently running something like 4 gallons I think...I was considering getting an IMS YZ desert tank which is 3.4 gallons. That would require new shrouds (which is fine...mine are hammered), and a new seat...however would that also require a new sub-frame (in order for the seat to attach properly)? Any other ideas in this regard?

Removing headlight, odometer, coolant reservoir.

Opinions on stock forks? So far they've done me okay, but whenever I ride a bike that has more "race" type forks I wish I had some.

I would just buy a new bike and make fewer mods, but I've already put a few pretty pennies into this one over the years, plus I happen to really like it...the thing is indestructible I swear.

Any other ideas?

Also a non-related question - it's always had a ton of compression but lately there doesn't seem to be much. I've been told maybe I need to replace the piston or something - any ideas on what's wrong? As a result it's become a little harder to start which is frustrating - used to always fire right up.

Thanks for the help!

I dont think you can diet it that much that you really will notice it, maybe change the center of weight by adjusting suspension and move fork in the position that you're happy with.

Rims?? are there maybe any lighter aftermarket ones?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • riceyj22

Posted May 31, 2008 - 12:27 PM

Yeh mate you got that right....not too much weight to be stripped off WR426, but they certainly are indestructable...!!!
The hard starting would be because your valves may require shimming and a top end rebuild would not go amiss either. The older WR's are renound for reliability and I seen once go for 6 six years without touching the valves!! and when they were checked they were spot on....Amazing.!! So yeh if you like your bike keep her singing sweet by freshing up the top end. The suspension can be improved by revalving and new springs, but you'll need to do both front and rear to get the full benefit of suspension work. Remember not much having the most powerful bike on the line if you can't steer the thing.

• Nathanael

Posted May 31, 2008 - 01:12 PM

Correction! The YZ tank I was looking at is 2.5 gallons...not 3.4.

I did get the valves done back in March...but since then I've come to not trust the shop that did that job, so I may take them in to have a look at by someone else, maybe redo the whole top end one more time.

I also recently put in a racetech rear spring and had the shock rebuilt too. The forks need some work though, but that rear spring helped a ton.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.