2009 YZ450F Info June 6th

89 replies to this topic
  • Wiz636

Posted June 09, 2008 - 09:27 AM

The idea of offsetting the axle hole 1.5mm upwards would work but then it is changing the geometry of the bike. I would rather that the blocks incorporate a collar that fit inside the axle slots in the swingarm so that the axle would remain centered vertically. Do you think that 6000 series aluminum would be up to the task or would Ti be necessary?

• grayracer513

Posted June 09, 2008 - 09:48 AM

If the material were thicker, the aluminum would likely be adequate, but the fact that the wall thickness of the collared portion would be only 1.5mm (.059") concerns me. So, my thought would be offset the axle vertically (no effect on geometry), or use Ti or steel for the blocks.

• Yamahafan

Posted June 09, 2008 - 01:57 PM

If the material were thicker, the aluminum would likely be adequate, but the fact that the wall thickness of the collared portion would be only 1.5mm (.059") concerns me. So, my thought would be offset the axle vertically (no effect on geometry), or use Ti or steel for the blocks.

Will you need a bushing to keep the 2009 brake caliper frame with a 25mm hole from sliding up and down 3mm on the older 22mm axle or will the pressure from the wheel and swingarm on both sides keep it from moving?

• Wiz636

Posted June 09, 2008 - 02:17 PM

Will you need a bushing to keep the 2009 brake caliper frame with a 25mm hole from sliding up and down 3mm on the older 22mm axle or will the pressure from the wheel and swingarm on both sides keep it from moving?

It would make sense that it would need to have a bushing. Also, the odds that the wheel spacers designed for the 22mm axle will fit on the new hub is probably slim to none.

• Dicko187

Posted June 09, 2008 - 11:39 PM

Regardless of the swing arm spread, how do you propose to keep the axle from sliding around in the larger slots?

use the '07 axel blocks aswell?
it should fit :thumbsup:

i've questioned my dealer about it, he has no idea as of yet, but he said he will be ringing Yamaha Australia today to find out some info about the bike etc. and he's going to ask them if stuff like that is possible.

but like someone has already said, all will be reveiled once the first lot hit dealer floors.

man i hope the wheels fit over. not keen on black rims in mud again.
i had them on my old 250F...one sandy 'mud' race and they were stuffed.
then again, nothing black texta's can't fix, right? :busted:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 10, 2008 - 06:31 AM

use the '07 axel blocks aswell?
it should fit :thumbsup:

We talked about that:

So, then, You intend to support the entire vertical load at the axle with blocks that will in turn be supported only by the ledge over the top of the blocks (not intended to bear weight)? Or maybe you were planning to offset the axle hole 1.5mm upward? :busted:

Bad idea.

• Wiz636

Posted June 12, 2008 - 02:09 PM

So...has anybody heard when the '09's will be hitting the dealers?

• Family Man

Posted June 20, 2008 - 02:38 PM

In july the bikes willbe available according to my local yamaha dealer. Small changes can and do add up, these bike are improving from year to year. They are good bikes.

• kyle450rider

Posted June 21, 2008 - 12:51 PM

In july the bikes willbe available according to my local yamaha dealer. Small changes can and do add up, these bike are improving from year to year. They are good bikes.

Were they available this time last year? I can't remember. If this is true I need to hurry up and sell my 2007.

• Family Man

Posted June 21, 2008 - 02:41 PM

Yeah it was june or july last year that the dealers began receiving bikes.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.