2009 YZ450F Info June 6th

89 replies to this topic
  • Wiz636

Posted June 06, 2008 - 11:24 AM

It says that the muffler is repackable...was that not the case with the '08 muffler?

• grayracer513

Posted June 06, 2008 - 12:00 PM

looks like the wheel are no longer swapable.

I don't see any difference.

I am extremely shocked that yamaha didnt do away with that crappy shorty muffler on the 450. WHY NOT?!!!!

The muffler is said not to have the internal baffling last year's had, therefore, it's different. You don't know that it won't work yet.

It says that the muffler is repackable...was that not the case with the '08 muffler?

Yes it was.

• Windseeker

Posted June 06, 2008 - 03:39 PM

Hmmm - I wonder if Scotts will have to make a new steering damper for 09 again.... Hope they start working on it NOT in January 09 (oh look - Yamaha has a new YZ!!!) but at least in September 08 when the first new bikes hit the showrooms floor :thumbsup:

• Wiz636

Posted June 06, 2008 - 04:28 PM

I don't see any difference.

They went to a larger rear axle so I would assume that the rear will not be able to be swapped with a pre '09.

• marty72

Posted June 06, 2008 - 04:40 PM

The muffler is said not to have the internal baffling last year's had, therefore, it's different. You don't know that it won't work yet.

Hey Gray,
I've been looking but I didn't find any discussion of changes to the silencer in the 09 Yamaha announcement. Can you tell me where you saw this?
I expected them to "fix" the 08 silencer.

• grayracer513

Posted June 06, 2008 - 04:53 PM

Hey Gray,
I've been looking but I didn't find any discussion of changes to the silencer in the 09 Yamaha announcement. Can you tell me where you saw this?
I expected them to "fix" the 08 silencer.

http://www.thumperta...970#post6489970

Also, at:

http://www.yamaha-mo...0/features.aspx

Note under Key Features: "Head and exhaust design delivers stronger low- to midrange power without sacrificing top end power."

• salasmauricio

Posted June 06, 2008 - 05:35 PM

Seriously, I don't see the need to upgrade to a 09 model. There's not a single change that actually made me even think about it, by the way I have a 08.

Good thing now I can save to get a 2010 when the time comes

• rickallen124

Posted June 06, 2008 - 08:11 PM

I wonder if the '09 has the '06 head with the '07 cams. This combo is supposed to have the best power delivery. Apparently the '08 intake tract is too big and this is what caused the lack of low end-not enough velocity at slower engine speeds/throttle openings.

• adamdf

Posted June 07, 2008 - 03:44 AM

I wonder if the '09 has the '06 head with the '07 cams. This combo is supposed to have the best power delivery. Apparently the '08 intake tract is too big and this is what caused the lack of low end-not enough velocity at slower engine speeds/throttle openings.

I am not saying that what you are saying is false, BUT the biggest loss comes from the stock 08 exhaust.

• rickallen124

Posted June 07, 2008 - 10:42 AM

Yes the stock exhaust is the biggest culprit, but even with an aftermarket exhaust the '08 isn't as strong off the bottom as the '06 is. So the head,cams and ignition play a big role. I wish Yamaha came with a dual ignition like the KTM, that sure is nice.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 917 rider

Posted June 07, 2008 - 05:24 PM

i wonder when i can get the new white se here in ga, :thumbsup: it sure would look good next to my 08:thumbsup: im deff. getting one as soon as i can, im sorry but i had to add, i pull trailors every day and retired many trucks:cry: till i bought my first chevy and still my only chevy ...............its a 05 2500 hd maybe ill get a new one........nope its good for another 100000 miles or so, sorry grey i know no truck talk:applause: :busted:

• kyle450rider

Posted June 08, 2008 - 11:54 AM

The white with the black wheels looks really nice. I want to purchase a 2009 but might be relocating to tulsa,ok with the job.

• Drfletcherdc

Posted June 08, 2008 - 02:33 PM

I personally like the blue, but the white with black rims is worth the extra $100. You can either spend $200 on plastics or $900 on rims.

• BASSic

Posted June 08, 2008 - 05:18 PM

Is Yamaha still selling a 2-stroke YZ250 in '09 in the USA???

I may buy a new bike at the end of this year. Realistically a 450 has much more power than I need, and a 250F is good enough most of the time but I know there are places I'll be wanting more.

The light weight and low rebuild cost of the 250 2T are making me think of switching back to the darkside.

• Dicko187

Posted June 08, 2008 - 08:02 PM

does anyone know for sure if the wheels are interchangeable to an 07??

vital mx said:
"If you’re a Yamaha guy who has some spare wheels you were planning on using on your ’09 as well, you may need to rethink that plan. There’s a new compact rear hub design that trims over 265 grams from the current design, and the axle size has jumped from 22 to 25mm. Instead of two bearings, the new hub now uses three…one on the brake side, and two on the drive side."

But, in theory, you should be able use the 07 axel (22mm) instead of the 09 (25mm) with the old rims, yeah?
the distance between the ends of the swing arm wouldn't actually be different?

haha, luckily i accidentally ordered an '08 pro circuit t4 for my 450, i'll be able to put that straight onto the 09 when i get it :thumbsup:

• YZ125 DR650

Posted June 08, 2008 - 08:35 PM

how about a real option for lighting and accessory power on a YZ.... it sucks that my YZ even with a lighting coil doesnt produce enough wattage to run my wideband 02......

• Wiz636

Posted June 09, 2008 - 06:26 AM

But, in theory, you should be able use the 07 axel (22mm) instead of the 09 (25mm) with the old rims, yeah?

Not a bad thought at all...I'm sure somebody will have that figured out pretty quickly once the '09's hit the showroom floor.

• grayracer513

Posted June 09, 2008 - 08:53 AM

... in theory, you should be able use the 07 axel (22mm) instead of the 09 (25mm) with the old rims, yeah?

Regardless of the swing arm spread, how do you propose to keep the axle from sliding around in the larger slots?

• Wiz636

Posted June 09, 2008 - 09:12 AM

Regardless of the swing arm spread, how do you propose to keep the axle from sliding around in the larger slots?

That's easy Gray...I'm going to manufacture axle blocks that also act as collars/shims. :thumbsup: They are going to be so successful that Excel and Talon are going to pay me to not sell them.

• grayracer513

Posted June 09, 2008 - 09:18 AM

So, then, You intend to support the entire vertical load at the axle with blocks that will in turn be supported only by the ledge over the top of the blocks (not intended to bear weight)? Or maybe you were planning to offset the axle hole 1.5mm upward? :thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.