2009 YZ450F Info June 6th

89 replies to this topic
  • offthewall

Posted June 05, 2008 - 01:01 PM

That wouldn't pass the test for inverted flight, anyway, would it?

They aren't that bad, anyway. I've never had one quit, although, I've seen a number of them replaced.

Yeah, they are that bad. The newer ones are better, but my pickup is a 2000 and it went bad pretty early in that one too. The new one seems to be doing better. I think Yamaha's (and really all of them by now) experience in small engines will result in a more reliable system, so no worries.

• Wiz636

Posted June 05, 2008 - 01:41 PM

That wouldn't pass the test for inverted flight, anyway, would it?

They aren't that bad, anyway. I've never had one quit, although, I've seen a number of them replaced.

In my '98 Sierra under the bedliner I cut a hole in the bed of the truck with a grinder above the fuel pump for easy access. 134,000 miles and it is on it's 4th fuel pump. I have actually started driving it again though...parked the Duramax when diesel here hit $5.00/gal

• grayracer513

Posted June 05, 2008 - 02:31 PM

Yeah, they are that bad. The newer ones are better, but my pickup is a 2000 and it went bad pretty early in that one too. The new one seems to be doing better.

In 23 years as a GM Master Tech, and a member of Chevrolet's National Advisory Council, they aren't that bad. The trouble with a manufacturer like GM is that by the time anyone realizes they've made a mistake, they've made 16,000 of them.

In my '98 Sierra under the bedliner I cut a hole in the bed of the truck with a grinder above the fuel pump for easy access. 134,000 miles and it is on it's 4th fuel pump.

My '96 is OEM at 180K. :thumbsup:

• Yamaha4lyfe

Posted June 05, 2008 - 04:38 PM

And it won't flood when it lays on its side.

thats the key reason id buy one. i sold my 450 because its hell trying to start a boiling 450 in the wet woods

• adamdf

Posted June 05, 2008 - 06:24 PM

In 23 years as a GM Master Tech, and a member of Chevrolet's National Advisory Council, they aren't that bad. The trouble with a manufacturer like GM is that by the time anyone realizes they've made a mistake, they've made 16,000 of them.

My '96 is OEM at 180K. :thumbsup:

What am i hearing now? Yamaha and GM have teamed up to produce the 2009 YZFs?? :busted: just thought id remind you engineer psychos that we wanna talk about frames on two weels not four. lol

Well, carry on guys. But tomorrow at 12pm when yamaha releases the bike, we are going back to talking about bikes (blue ones), deal? :busted:

• Wiz636

Posted June 06, 2008 - 08:04 AM

This is what is listed as "New for 2009":

Top triple clamp has two sets of mounting holes, providing 4 handlebar positions to suit a wide variety of riders: standard, 10mm back, or 10mm or 20mm forward.

Newly designed swingarm is lighter and helps to achieve excellent rigidity balance for superb cornering and rear wheel traction.

Lightweight suspension linkage is redesigned to match the new swingarm.

New rear wheel hub is lighter and designed for the larger 25mm diameter axle (up from 22mm), helping to achieve the overall rigidity balance of rear suspension components.

New axle blocks make chain adjustment a cinch.

New clutch lever is shorter, stronger, and lighter, with a lever position adjuster to accommodate different riders. Quick adjuster makes maintenance easy.

Front brake hose clamp is now aluminum, greatly reducing its weight.

New seat cover has great grip and more durability, and it’s easy to clean.

Premium drive chain has gold colored plates for outstanding looks.

• DPW

Posted June 06, 2008 - 08:06 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Wiz636

Posted June 06, 2008 - 08:09 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

I like the black rims on the SE :thumbsup:

• DPW

Posted June 06, 2008 - 08:19 AM

I wonder if the muffler is any different..

• grayracer513

Posted June 06, 2008 - 08:29 AM

I wonder if the muffler is any different..

Of the YZ250F, MXA noted:

The 2009 Yamaha YZ250F muffler is several inches shorter. It,reportedly, does not have Yamaha’s dualcone internal baffling.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 02YZFkid

Posted June 06, 2008 - 08:31 AM

The new SE looks killer!

• TooFast

Posted June 06, 2008 - 08:31 AM

Greyracer,
Bought a new 1997 Savana cargo with the 5.7, loved it till around 30K miles when driveabilty/engine miss/cold start/check engine light on&off almost every day....cost me several days riding:rant: dealer said it was the poppet valves per service bulletin in the EFI and would only dump B44K FI cleaner in the tank and then refused warranty service at 36K. B44K is on me now they say. Now I know what Hardly owners feel like - don't want to get farther from home than they want to walk...At 39K it stopped running on the way to a court date and was almost a no show, couldn't hear the fuel pump run anymore, checked the fuse/relay/etc...had it towed home for $100, drained the full fuel tank and dropped it. went to remove the fuel pump and noticed the electrical connector was brown from heat, sure enough, very poor connection/ high resistance. Installed my new, paid for by me pump and spliced the wires since it is such a PITA job (GM needs to have an access panel for pump service). Showed the connector to several dealers but no one would make good on the pump I purchased....outa warranty buddy, get lost, despite starting during the warranty period. So now I'm back to the usual driveabilty problems, especially in cold weather till finally it wouldn't even go 30mph...limped to the dealer who refused warranty service for an unresolved problem originating during the warranty period. Guy in front of me is in for a new fuel pump for his pickup for $800 installed. Anyone wonder why we buy Toyotas??? So I go into parts dept to check on new poppet valves $$ and the parts guy mentions "parts no longer available, use upgraded 1999 popppets, etc" for about $500...service bastards knew this but didn't ever mention it and refused to install these FI parts. So I unloaded my WR450F and left the van at the dealer and started calling GM's customer service everyday, finally got a return call a week later and asked the Regional service manager guy to check my warranty service records and make good on the FI before we go to court. Two weeks later he tells me to go pick my truck up with it's new 99 FI parts. I show up, dog house is still off the motor, grease everywhere, but they say it's done and are closing so I take as is, doesn't run quite right on way home so start poking around and found only two of the plastic intake manifold bolts are tight - dang thing is loose and sucking air...get out my inch pound torque wrench and torque it down and it test drives ok. Called the Regional guy and told him what I thought about GM techs and why Toyota is gaining on them, he apologizes but never did hear from the dealer again - probably a blessing in hindsight. So now I'm at 111,000 miles and the service engine light is coming and going again. Other than two alternators, leaking coolant and PS hose I actually like the van and the vortec power/gas mileage,but will I buy another? Not to mention the Denver dealers don't want to deal on vans and the pickup's 5.3 variable displacement motor isn't offered in the van.....Toyota doesn't make a full size cargo van - yet....

So my question Greyracer: how is GM going to survive ? What makes me a return buyer is good customer service and fixing the problems when they do arise like the Japs do.

• TooFast

Posted June 06, 2008 - 08:50 AM

Front brake hose clamp is now aluminum, greatly reducing its weight.

Guess I'd better sell my 08, must be .01 oz lighter now.

Nice bike Yamaha, so they didn't mention any motor changes?

Wonder wha they did with the axle blocks?

• grayracer513

Posted June 06, 2008 - 08:52 AM

This is off topic, and any more of this subject in this thread will be pulled. However, it looks like to me that 70% of your problem was with your dealer (refusal to perform repairs under warranty, failure to explain GM's process for reapiring the issue, and poor quality work).

GM builds more cars in a single day, every day, than Rolls-Royce has ever built in its entire history. When this is done in the US, using UAW labor, it is inevitable that some problems will arise, and anecdotal stories such as yours are easy to find. However, there are thousands of other cars and trucks like mine that haven't spent any real shop time at all. Of course, you don't hear about those.

The two biggest reasons GM isn't more competitive with Toyota are the US Federal tax system and the United Auto Workers Union. If you would like to discuss this further, put something up in the truck forum, or Town Square. No more here.

Thanks.

• DPW

Posted June 06, 2008 - 08:53 AM

some more pics>> http://www.vitalmx.c...-YZ-Lineup,2800

• matts06yzf

Posted June 06, 2008 - 09:59 AM

Im not impressed. I want another bike 2 but hmmmm either another 08 yamaha 450 or a Honda 450 decisons decisons

• INJURY_69

Posted June 06, 2008 - 10:01 AM

looks like the wheel are no longer swapable.

• adamdf

Posted June 06, 2008 - 10:03 AM

I am extremely shocked that yamaha didnt do away with that crappy shorty muffler on the 450. WHY NOT?!!!! ALSO, i hope those rims are good quality black excel rims and not some regular rim with black paint. Other than that, i am really excited to see how the new swingarm setup helps the handling. I am not sure if 08 owners should feel the need to upgrade to 09, but anyone considering a new YZ still has a lot of reasons to be excited about the bike in my opinion. Now its just to wait and see if the new swingarm made any differences.

• Wiz636

Posted June 06, 2008 - 10:04 AM

Maybe the '09 is the bike to buy. New suspension yet without the potentially not-quite-perfected fuel injection that may show up in 2010.

Being an offroader myself I wonder how hard (read: $$$) it will be to get an aftermarket high capacity fuel tank once FI hits.

• Ga426owner

Posted June 06, 2008 - 11:19 AM

Some decent small changes....all in all. NOTHING EARTH SHATTERING :thumbsup:

swingarm and linkage are the big changes as I expected
nice adjustment in the tripleclamps - finally
finally some longover due changes - brakeline, chain (hopefully it is not a crap chain)and new alignment adjusters as well as smaller lighter hubs and larger axles as well as black excel wheels on the SE
I do like the shiftfork changes

anyone know what if any fork/shock internal changes?
or what the muffler does not include....like the 250F

yes, I am still glad I did not buy a 07 or 08......

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.