2009 YZ450F Info June 6th

89 replies to this topic
  • adamdf

Posted June 02, 2008 - 10:29 AM

Maybe EFI could be an option? Then, if you want to get your 2010(?) model with a carb or with an EFI, you could get the one that suits your tastes (or fears). This idea seems like a great leap forward in marketing, where we the riders have always had to buy the same bike as everyone else; now we can pick and choose what we want.

Won't happen. Nice idea, but dealers arent selling enough bikes as it is these days for them to do such a thing. It simply wont be profitable, and EFI is not a bad thing (neither is it a big deal), so when it arrives, embrace it.

As i have said before, i would be much more excited about a chassis improvement, such as the new swingarm or something of the like, and a better exhaust (get ride of the shorty), than EFI. EFI isnt going to make or break the day right now, it really should be neither here nor there for us at this point. MX 450s have good power as they are, handling always comes first.

• offthewall

Posted June 02, 2008 - 09:48 PM

Won't happen. Nice idea, but dealers arent selling enough bikes as it is these days for them to do such a thing. It simply wont be profitable, and EFI is not a bad thing (neither is it a big deal), so when it arrives, embrace it.

As i have said before, i would be much more excited about a chassis improvement, such as the new swingarm or something of the like, and a better exhaust (get ride of the shorty), than EFI. EFI isnt going to make or break the day right now, it really should be neither here nor there for us at this point. MX 450s have good power as they are, handling always comes first.

I have to agree pretty much all around. If the bike runs and runs well and is as rideable as ever, does it really matter what it providing the fuel and air? Hell, in ten years people may be wondering why we even used gasoline, so we might as well go with the flow of technology.

• swaldrop

Posted June 03, 2008 - 04:22 AM

Hell, in ten years people may be wondering why we even used gasoline

Now you're talking...

• BASSic

Posted June 03, 2008 - 08:00 AM

This idea seems like a great leap forward in marketing, where we the riders have always had to buy the same bike as everyone else; now we can pick and choose what we want.

If that's the case, I want a YZ with a WR transmission.

I don't think EFI is a bad thing. Is there any chance that it'll give the MX bikes the green sticker blessings? Perhaps Yamaha can do what Husqvarna did and make all enduro models street legal.

The WR250 R and X models already have EFI and they're street legal; I wonder what the power delivery is like compared to the carbureted WR250F. Then again, that might not be a fair comparison because it is a different engine (only 4 valves!!!)

• rdefonce

Posted June 03, 2008 - 08:49 AM

I have to agree pretty much all around. If the bike runs and runs well and is as rideable as ever, does it really matter what it providing the fuel and air? Hell, in ten years people may be wondering why we even used gasoline, so we might as well go with the flow of technology.

I figure that EFI YZ's won't run any better, BUT they will sure make our trips to high-altitude areas (not to mention winter vs. summer "jetting" changes) much simpler; No jetting reqd!

• 642MX

Posted June 03, 2008 - 09:49 AM

I figure that EFI YZ's won't run any better, BUT they will sure make our trips to high-altitude areas (not to mention winter vs. summer "jetting" changes) much simpler; No jetting reqd!

So true. And don't forget that EFI also means no choke or hot start. :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted June 03, 2008 - 11:26 AM

And it won't flood when it lays on its side.

• MXKyle

Posted June 03, 2008 - 11:53 AM

I've got a little time on a new 2008 Suzuki with it's famous EFI. You can have em!

They are flat out hard to start when cold.

--KT--

• Wiz636

Posted June 03, 2008 - 01:04 PM

The RMZ has both I believe.

• offthewall

Posted June 03, 2008 - 09:53 PM

The RMZ has both I believe.

Yeah, it seems like a bike could have one or both if the manufacturer wanted. It would be up to a computer or some sort of sensor to decide when to use a hot start or cold start program, and I wouldn't want to rely on that during a race. I would rather pull the hot start lever to tell the EFI system when to use a different program.

I'm thinking about it, if we let the computers do too much, MX vs. ATV is only like 1% of the cost of a bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 03, 2008 - 10:16 PM

It would be up to a computer or some sort of sensor to decide when to use a hot start or cold start program, and I wouldn't want to rely on that during a race.

Really? The major race car teams all do. The ignition timing, fuel delivery, and even the valve timing are all done by computer on the most powerful normally aspirated engines in the world.

Modern fighter aircraft have no direct connection between the stick and control surfaces, and all pilot input is optimized by a computer. The B-2 and the V-22 are only flyable because a computer stabilizes them. During the first 10 seconds of an F/A-18 carrier launch, the plane is entirely under computer control.

With an EFI system, it's only a question of whether you want a really sophisticated setup, or an electric carburetor. In a good system, the coolant temp sensor and intake air temp sensors let the ECM know that the engine is hot, normal or cold, and the fuel mixture is instantly adjusted to meet those needs. Likewise, if a barometric pressure sensor is included, it will compensate for weather and altitude. The Chevrolet EFI system on 5.7 liter V-8's circa 1998 was reliable enough to have the FAA approve it on that engine for experimental aircraft use.

• offthewall

Posted June 04, 2008 - 09:25 AM

Yeah you're definately right about the race cars and what not Gray, but do we have the room and power to run such a complicated system on our bikes? Maybe with some sort of large capacitor we could run a more complex computer, but what would we be looking at in terms of all this decision-making ability?

• grayracer513

Posted June 04, 2008 - 11:05 AM

The ECM could be combined with the existing CDI module and still be made smaller than it currently is. Power from the stator could easily be doubled without noticing it (a YZ450 flywheel is smaller than your gas cap now), and there is no real need for a battery. A number of functional battery-less systems currently exist.

• adamdf

Posted June 05, 2008 - 08:41 AM

Are you sure that yamaha is releasing the 09s tomorrow? I have not seen any announcements on their website like i normally would around this time.

• grayracer513

Posted June 05, 2008 - 08:50 AM

here's the 250F:

http://www.motocross...E9516F630DA9ABA

• Wiz636

Posted June 05, 2008 - 09:01 AM

The Chevrolet EFI system on 5.7 liter V-8's circa 1998 was reliable enough to have the FAA approve it on that engine for experimental aircraft use.

I hope they didn't approve it with the OEM GM fuel pump! :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted June 05, 2008 - 09:09 AM

That wouldn't pass the test for inverted flight, anyway, would it?

They aren't that bad, anyway. I've never had one quit, although, I've seen a number of them replaced.

• rdefonce

Posted June 05, 2008 - 09:39 AM

That wouldn't pass the test for inverted flight, anyway, would it?

They aren't that bad, anyway. I've never had one quit, although, I've seen a number of them replaced.

Had a bad one on my then brand-new '94 vette (still got that old cage. love it!) 10 miles from dealer I noticed it wouldn't rev. Drove back, turned out to be the fuel pump. No problem since then though.

I'm ready for EFI on dirt bikes now!

• ZMoney520

Posted June 05, 2008 - 10:50 AM

ADAMDF-----Yes, Yamaha is announcing their lineup tomorrow. My brother is going to the dealer show. Also, if you go to Yamaha's website, you will see a box that says "Experience the new ATV & Motorcycle Models June 6, 2008 12PM Eastern." So I guess they will put the new bikes on the website tomorrow as well.

• KAS

Posted June 05, 2008 - 12:11 PM

I'm actually interested in what they do to the WR (read: YZ fork!).

A few years down the road I might end up with a WR instead of a YZ.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.