valve adjustment pictorial?

6 replies to this topic
  • WIRE-DOC

Posted May 29, 2008 - 06:28 PM

does anyone have a step by step with photos of a valve check on a 07-08 wr450?

• matt4x4

Posted May 30, 2008 - 03:42 AM

your manual would, however, they're drawings, but definitely better renditions than a 4 yr old would do.
I got my bike apart right now, valve adjustment will be the last thing I do before zipping it all back up and throwing it back together - I was just going to rip through it because I'm really dying to get riding, but I'll take a few pics and write something up once I'm done. Mine's a 2000, but it's all the same anyways.

• PoorComa

Posted May 30, 2008 - 03:55 AM

your manual would, however, they're drawings, but definitely better renditions than a 4 yr old would do.
I got my bike apart right now, valve adjustment will be the last thing I do before zipping it all back up and throwing it back together - I was just going to rip through it because I'm really dying to get riding, but I'll take a few pics and write something up once I'm done. Mine's a 2000, but it's all the same anyways.

I would also greatly appreciate your pictures! I need to do this also and I too have a 2000. :thumbsup: Thanks a lot man, looking forward to the pics/how-to. :ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • matt4x4

Posted May 30, 2008 - 04:40 AM

I hope you guys can wait a week, I'm still waiting on some parts to finish it all, and it doesn't look like they will arrive today, if they do, I will get the bottom end back together and finish it all up tonight over a few beers, hopefully be riding again tomorrow

Posted Image

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted May 30, 2008 - 04:56 AM

does anyone have a step by step with photos of a valve check on a 07-08 wr450?

http://www.motopowervideo.com

I watched the video for 30 minutes, then did my own valve adjustment.

Every three months or so, I waste 30-40 minutes checking my valves again. Its a waste of time because the Yamaha valves has not moved since my initial break in almost three years ago.

• matt4x4

Posted May 30, 2008 - 05:33 AM

It's never a waste of time, it's cheap insurance!
There are several reasons you SHOULD check them regularly:

1. I read about guys in the YZF forum losing engines due to valves in under 50 hours, yes, it's a fluke, Yamaha sets clearances using a calibrated machine, however, some bikes can slip through before they catch that the machine was out of whack, so I highly recommend checking your brand new bike before even riding it, because fighting with the manufacturer to get them to pay is generally a losing battle no matter how much of it was their fault.

2. Once valves do start to move, they can go relatively fast, so not checking can once again put you into an expensive situation.

If you have an hour meter, start a log for valve clearances at regular time intervals, if not, do it every 1, 2, 3 ,4 ,5 months - all depending on how much you ride monthly, this can really help you once they do start to move since you will have historical info.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted May 30, 2008 - 10:34 PM

It's never a aste of time, it's cheap insurance!
There are several reasons you SHOULD check them regularly:

I didn't mean that literally...

I do in fact check it every three months or about 5 or 6 races/rides.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.