08 header help gray

8 replies to this topic
  • RER97

Posted May 29, 2008 - 04:37 PM

i have a 06 450 bought a used header off this website i recieved it today i believe its off a 08 the end that fits into the mid pipe silincer is bigger how can i use it and will it effect performance thanks.

• FriscoKLR

Posted May 29, 2008 - 05:59 PM

The 07'-08' are bigger diameter than the 06' was. Its not gonna work.

• sparkyz

Posted May 29, 2008 - 06:06 PM

I don't know if this would work with titanium but an exhaust shop can generally expand pipes a certain amount, depending on how much it needs expanded they may be able to do it for you. It's been a while since my metallurgical classes since I'm going for mechanical engineering but you might want to call a couple of exhaust shops and ask if they can safely expand the titanium pipe without it cracking. There are a few people on here that seem to have their metallurgy down so maybe somebody will comment on the practicality of expanding titanium tubing. Sorry I wasn't more help.

Just re read your post, I thought the head pipe needed expanded. You may be able to do what I said with the midpipe though. I'm not sure what material your mid pipe is so that may affect if it can be expanded without craking or tearing.

• KJ790

Posted May 29, 2008 - 06:15 PM

You can try an exhaust midpipe gasket off an 07 if you have the stock silencer. You can also buy an aftermarket silencer for an 07-08 if you want to spend the money.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Stepdaddy

Posted May 30, 2008 - 06:24 PM

I love this forum, look at the options...

• todds924

Posted June 02, 2008 - 08:57 PM

The 07'-08' are bigger diameter than the 06' was. Its not gonna work.

NO, it WILL work...................with an 08 mid gasket. They are thinner. I have done it.

• KJ790

Posted June 03, 2008 - 03:31 AM

NO, it WILL work...................with an 08 mid gasket. They are thinner. I have done it.

Only if he has a stock silencer, if it is an aftermarket silencer there is no midpipe gasket.

• todds924

Posted June 03, 2008 - 08:52 PM

Only if he has a stock silencer, if it is an aftermarket silencer there is no midpipe gasket.

absolutely correct.

• odlaw19

Posted March 26, 2009 - 12:21 PM

Did you get this to work RER97?

I have an 07 wr450 with a 06 YZ450 can on it. With the stock WR header pipe, the can was too big to seal around the gasket properly. I have since installed an 08 YZ450 header pipe. I had to unwind the original gasket and make it thinner to fit.

I purchased an 08 YZ450 gasket, fits over the end of the header perfect but it is about 1-2mm too big to fit in the can. I'm heading to the exhaust shop today to get them to stretch it a little so the gasket fits. I should be all good after that

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.